cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch and map issues

Molecularblonde
Mt. Kenya

Hi!

I have an Apple Watch and recently purchased a new iPhone (Pro 15).

I cycle and I run trail.

Prior to getting the new phone, I’d begin my activities this way:

1. Go to strava on my phone. Start a trail run or a road ride. (This is a backup. Normally I’ll delete it once the Apple Watch data gets uploaded). 

2. Go to Apple fitness on my watch. Start a trail run or a road ride.

3. Import both and delete the phone data as it’s not as accurate.

But now that I have the new phone, this strategy doesn’t work. The apple phone data uploads on strava. But the apple phone data is missing the *map*. 

Before the new phone, I’d get two sets of uploads with complete data and two distinct maps. 

Right now, if I delete the phone upload, eventually I’ll get a map to generate for the Apple metrics. But it’s on a delay or something. It takes quite a while to see the map. And it eventually asks (on strava) it asks “done your activity” and then offers you the option to add advanced options. 

I want to add that I have a paid subscription to strava. 

I have gone through every YouTube tutorial I can find. There’s nothing. Also tried Reddit, too. 
I’ve even turned on/off my watch and phone.

It’s frustrating like for today when I ran 8.25 miles and I had two uploads and only one had a map. And it was from the phone data. I should have seen two maps for each upload. But still only seeing one. Once I deleted the phone data from strava, the map eventually came up for the apple phone entry. 
Please help. I hope this makes sense. I’m not great with technology. But I have everything updated and the health app seems to be updated too.

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Molecularblonde 

Thanks for your post and we're happy to help. Based on what you're describing, I'm wondering if your two duplicate activities are being grouped together on your Feed, and when that happens you'll only see one map in the Feed.  Have you tried clicking into the activity without the map to see if it shows when you view activity detail?

Another possibility is that your Strava App on iPhone is having difficulty recording GPS data. For that scenario, I recommend working through the troubleshooting steps as this link

Let us know if either of those suggestions help.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi Jane.

Thank you for your reply.

So yesterday I did a trail run. I set the Apple fitness watch on “outdoor run” and I set my phone’s strava to “trail run”. And I ended up with two unique and individual uploads and each had their own map in my feed.  This is what I would expect. I’m not sure what I’m doing differently now??? But in the past it hasn’t always worked this way. It’s like it’s iffy as to whether or not I’ll get a map for both uploads. 

But I understand what you’re saying. Sometimes when I do this for cycling it (when I start the Apple fitness on my watch to “outdoor cycle” and then set strava on my phone as a backup to “road ride”) I’ll end up with an upload that says “Tara [my name] rode with Tara”. So it’s like it thinks I rode with another person who was actually me. But in that case I used to always get two maps. 

I want to add that I always set two devices for a run/ride because one will be a backup in case I lose one. I don’t know if any of this makes sense. In my experience sometimes you do a 30 mile ride and for whatever reason the signal cuts out. 
I am so grateful to you for reaching out to me. 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings