cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Community Challenge

JCulpepper
Mt. Kenya

I am a Trails Coordinator in my city. I would like to create a contest for people to ride/run/walk a certain segment of trail. Each lap they do can count as a point, and perhaps the fastest time can count as some amount of bonus points. Each point is equivalent to an entry into a drawing, with the grand prize and a few secondary prizes being awarded at the end of the month. I want to do this for each month, rotating through some of our trails that don't see as much attention in order to help motivate folks to use them. If you completed the contest each month, you're eligible for a big end-of-year prize.

In order to accomplish this, I need athletes to opt-in somehow (so only people aware of the contest are eligible for prizes), and I need to be able to see all of the opted-in athletes that completed the task, how many times they completed the task, and who did it fastest.

It seems like the type of thing a "Challenge" might be able to achieve, but there's no avenue for me to create one of those as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have any pointers on how I could pull something like this off? I'm sure similar contests have occurred elsewhere! Thanks so much.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @JCulpepper
Thanks for your post. At this time, Strava offers group challenges and club events. However, neither can do what you are looking for. Our group challenges have a maximum limit of 25 participants (you and 24 other athletes) per Group Challenge. If you’re a subscriber, you have the option to create up to 25 Group Challenges per day, and therefore have the option to invite 24 additional participants in a different Group Challenge.

If you have more than the max number of participants, you can create a club. While you cannot create a club challenge, you can create a club event.  At this time, Clubs are designed to track members' progress on a weekly basis. Other than the 'Last Week' leaderboard on club pages on Strava.com we do not store historical data.

If you are interested in hosting a global challenge on Strava, sponsored challenges are available to relevant sporting/athletic brands as a paid media activation. Please review the Strava|Business FAQs for more information and use the Get Started option if you would like to pursue this opportunity. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

Scout
Moderator Moderator

UPDATE ON GROUP CHALLENGES: We are pleased to announce that creators of Group Challenges can now invite up to 199 athletes that follow them on Strava. In order for an athlete to join the challenge, they must be a subscriber, have a free subscription trial, or have free challenges left. Creators can also allow other athletes in the challenge to invite athletes who follow them. From the challenge details screen, tap the three ellipses [...] in the top right to open the challenge settings, and then enable the toggle that reads “Allow Participants to Invite Others”. For more info on Group Challenges, check out this page

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Scout
Moderator Moderator

UPDATE ON GROUP CHALLENGES: We are pleased to announce that creators of Group Challenges can now invite up to 199 athletes that follow them on Strava. In order for an athlete to join the challenge, they must be a subscriber, have a free subscription trial, or have free challenges left. Creators can also allow other athletes in the challenge to invite athletes who follow them. From the challenge details screen, tap the three ellipses [...] in the top right to open the challenge settings, and then enable the toggle that reads “Allow Participants to Invite Others”. For more info on Group Challenges, check out this page

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @JCulpepper
Thanks for your post. At this time, Strava offers group challenges and club events. However, neither can do what you are looking for. Our group challenges have a maximum limit of 25 participants (you and 24 other athletes) per Group Challenge. If you’re a subscriber, you have the option to create up to 25 Group Challenges per day, and therefore have the option to invite 24 additional participants in a different Group Challenge.

If you have more than the max number of participants, you can create a club. While you cannot create a club challenge, you can create a club event.  At this time, Clubs are designed to track members' progress on a weekly basis. Other than the 'Last Week' leaderboard on club pages on Strava.com we do not store historical data.

If you are interested in hosting a global challenge on Strava, sponsored challenges are available to relevant sporting/athletic brands as a paid media activation. Please review the Strava|Business FAQs for more information and use the Get Started option if you would like to pursue this opportunity. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)