cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does adjusting your HR zones affect the RE value on future activities?

PhilC
Shkhara

I really like the Relative Effort feature on Strava as I feel it helps with motivation. However, a couple of weeks back I did a Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR) test and following this I adjusted my HR zones using the newly calculated LTHR. Since then it seems that the RE figures for my activities are quite a bit lower although I don't feel like I am working any less hard. Is this because of the change to my zones? The RE graph currently suggests I am working below average at the moment (very demotivating). Do I just have to wait for the average to sort itself out?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ActivityFix
Kilimanjaro

Strava's RE is a version of TRIMP

It's basically a calculation of time spent in different HR zones, so changing your zones will change the value. I don't think there's a way to change past activities, so you'll just have to wait until the RE graph adjusts to your new zones.

View solution in original post

Jan_Mantau
Denali

It's exactly as you think, the heart rate zones and how long you are in them in each activity determine the relative effort. If you correct the zones to higher values that means you're activities before were overrated and thus it seems as if you train not as hard now. And you're other assumption is right too, this levels itself out in a short time.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

PhilC
Shkhara

Thank you for the responses confirming what I suspected. I'll just have to keep working at it. It would be nice if there was a way to get Strava to re-evaluate past activities (in a date range for example) against revised HR zones. The only way at the moment seems to be delete the activities and then re-upload them, assuming that you have the original source. But this means you lose any kudos or comments etc.

You can change the sport type and revert that, that reevaluates the RE against the current zones.

Jan_Mantau
Denali

It's exactly as you think, the heart rate zones and how long you are in them in each activity determine the relative effort. If you correct the zones to higher values that means you're activities before were overrated and thus it seems as if you train not as hard now. And you're other assumption is right too, this levels itself out in a short time.

ActivityFix
Kilimanjaro

Strava's RE is a version of TRIMP

It's basically a calculation of time spent in different HR zones, so changing your zones will change the value. I don't think there's a way to change past activities, so you'll just have to wait until the RE graph adjusts to your new zones.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings