cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DQ or remove impossible challenge records

Maybenaught
Pico de Orizaba

I would love to see something implemented to remove the junk recordings off of the challenge leaderboards and segments. For example, right now the top athlete on the July Half Marathon run challenge says that person ran 63,000 miles with a 0mi pace. Clearly something went amiss and that record shouldn't be above

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sunny415
Strava
Strava

Thanks for this feedback, @Maybenaught. It looks like that instance that you noticed has since been removed from this leaderboard. We do have some efforts and options in place to help mitigate bad data. For example, we automatically exclude some efforts from some segment leaderboards, and these activities will not count toward other leaderboards on Strava at this time, including in Challenges and Clubs. The athlete community also has tools at hand to manually flag activities and remove them from leaderboards as well. If these options aren't able to help, you are also welcome to submit a request to our support team to further investigate these issues. 

We won't be able to detect every instance of bad data, and we're regularly working to improve how we can detect it to provide better quality data on Strava leaderboards. Thanks for posting here as it helps keep this point at top of mind, and feel free to use the athlete-facing tools available to address these issues. 

Thanks!

Sunny
STRAVA | Support Team

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

gparlagh
Shkhara

Now because fake data is allowed, strava challenges are just a joke. E.g. in October and November swimming challenge there are some impossible recordings. If there is no tool at strava to prohibit these appear on the leaderboard, these cheating recordings make ALL leaderboard to look like a joke.

It is really annoying to manually flag the activities, and also if we get "Flagging content is temporarily disabled. Please try again later.", it is impossible.

gparlagh_0-1698863168027.png

ChrisO
Mt. Kenya

Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 11.22.41 PM.png

 It is November 10th... there have literally only been 240 hours in the month... surely that is some simple math algorithm that could determine if these results were out of line. ... I mean... or maybe not... but 10 days... 24 hours... I dunno.... maybe someone could have run 1720,000 hours this month... I'm not a scientist. 

I agree that it should be a very simple matter to come up with an algorhithm to identify implausible activities. I see instances all the time when someone forgets to end their ride and keeps recording on the drive home, or where the elevation gain on a ride would require a constant gradient in excess of 100%. It almost never fails that when you try to flag one of these activities the profile is private. Strava could easily come up with a simple set of parameters such as maximum speed, maximum elevation per mile, etc to identify these activities as implausible and prevent them from showing up on challege leaderboards. Instead of just automatically flagging the ride, the user could get an automated email first suggesting that they crop or correct their activity before it show up on the site.   

misterx
Shkhara

Diana Wee walked 137679 km (now Aug 9: 94896 km) in the first 8 days of August 2022 walking challenge  https://www.strava.com/challenges/August-Walking-Distance-Challenge-2022 

Why it seems so difficult (or impossible) for STRAVA to create some common sense algorithm and remove such members and "records" from the leaderboard. It happens all the time. And manually flagging activities of such members is not possible if the profile is private.

The same applies to segments: E-bike riders or car drivers cheat cyclists, cyclists cheat runners, runners cheat walkers, etc, etc. And it's that easy: just select a wrong (lower) activity type and you're in first place or KOM/QOM of a segment.

Sunny415
Strava
Strava

Thanks for this feedback, @Maybenaught. It looks like that instance that you noticed has since been removed from this leaderboard. We do have some efforts and options in place to help mitigate bad data. For example, we automatically exclude some efforts from some segment leaderboards, and these activities will not count toward other leaderboards on Strava at this time, including in Challenges and Clubs. The athlete community also has tools at hand to manually flag activities and remove them from leaderboards as well. If these options aren't able to help, you are also welcome to submit a request to our support team to further investigate these issues. 

We won't be able to detect every instance of bad data, and we're regularly working to improve how we can detect it to provide better quality data on Strava leaderboards. Thanks for posting here as it helps keep this point at top of mind, and feel free to use the athlete-facing tools available to address these issues. 

Thanks!

Sunny
STRAVA | Support Team

stephen
Pico de Orizaba

If anything there should either be something developed on strava's side to look at these things automatically and remove them on the likelihood that they're not legit (in the instance you described) or some kind of community moderation.

VikK
Kilimanjaro

Agree, some common sense on that and segments. eg I once forgot to turn off the Garmin and started driving home, got a lovely KOM but not exactly fair. I removed but not everybody does or even realises.

Vik