cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit a route so it starts and finishes in a new location along existing route

vmich
Shkhara

First post... hope I'm in the right "location".  I've duplicated a route created by someone else. I'd like to keep the same route, but start and finish at a different point, about halfway along the existing route. Can't find any insight on this.  I've tried dragging the start point, rearranging way points, deleting start point, etc. None of these accomplish what I'm attempting.  If I click on a waypoint near where I want to start, it lets me "use manual mode", "end here", or "delete". Not "start here".  Is it possible to do what I'm attempting? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vmich
Shkhara

Actually, Jane's solution didn't accomplish what I wanted. We were starting out with someone else's 280k route with 100 waypoints and a start/finish in the East. I originally wanted to edit so that the start/finish was at a location in the West, but otherwise maintain the route.

In the end, I managed to create what we really needed, which was four new routes – a segment for each day of our tour. FWIW, if someone else is trying to do this, here's what worked for me.

Start by duplicating the original route, and use that to save new routes. (I found I sometimes had to go back and re-dupe the route for some reason.)

A: If the route segment you want is somewhere between the original start and finish.

1. Note the numbers of the waypoints you'd like to start and finish at.
  2. On the builder sidebar, delete all the waypoints AFTER your finish waypoint but PRIOR to the original finish.
  3. Starting at Waypoint 1, delete waypoints, counting to the number of your start point. You can see the map changing.
  4. Delete the original start and finish.
  5. On the map, drag to adjust, if required, the actual location for your start and finish.

B: If the route segment you want crosses over the original start and finish, it gets a bit trickier.

1. Note the number of the waypoints you'd like to start and finish at.
  2. In the builder sidebar, delete all the way points AFTER your finish waypoint, counting per this illustration:
  • We wanted 83-9, which crossed through start/finish
  • In the builder sidebar, starting at one WP below my finish (10), I deleted, counting up to 82.

3. Then in the sidebar, drag waypoint 1 and others down just before the finish. I had to do this 9 times, until WP 1 jumped up to where I wanted to start on the map.

4. Note: Make sure your road surface type is set. Mine was somehow set to "prefer paved" and it kept rereouting one section, even when I dragged waypoints on the map.

It might have been possible to avoid duplicating multiple deletes by saving interim versions of the map, but it wasn't *too* hard, considering we now have nicely customized day segments that show all the details, including the day's elevations. Hope that helps someone!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RussT
Mt. Kenya

having a similar issue here. I have a ride uploaded and created a route, i want to get rid of a small detour in the middle, but as soon as you insert a way point the route planner replans the whole route! you cant do anything without losing the entire route as it's impossible to isolate a particular section. Most other applications i use allow me to do this and I don't pay anything for them. it's a pain to have to export, edit and re import the routes. 

Instead of deleting the waypoint, have you tried dragging any waypoints along the detour to the route you want? Not worrying about where they are... just so they're along the desired route.  I just tested, and it *seemed* to work.

vmich
Shkhara

Actually, Jane's solution didn't accomplish what I wanted. We were starting out with someone else's 280k route with 100 waypoints and a start/finish in the East. I originally wanted to edit so that the start/finish was at a location in the West, but otherwise maintain the route.

In the end, I managed to create what we really needed, which was four new routes – a segment for each day of our tour. FWIW, if someone else is trying to do this, here's what worked for me.

Start by duplicating the original route, and use that to save new routes. (I found I sometimes had to go back and re-dupe the route for some reason.)

A: If the route segment you want is somewhere between the original start and finish.

1. Note the numbers of the waypoints you'd like to start and finish at.
  2. On the builder sidebar, delete all the waypoints AFTER your finish waypoint but PRIOR to the original finish.
  3. Starting at Waypoint 1, delete waypoints, counting to the number of your start point. You can see the map changing.
  4. Delete the original start and finish.
  5. On the map, drag to adjust, if required, the actual location for your start and finish.

B: If the route segment you want crosses over the original start and finish, it gets a bit trickier.

1. Note the number of the waypoints you'd like to start and finish at.
  2. In the builder sidebar, delete all the way points AFTER your finish waypoint, counting per this illustration:
  • We wanted 83-9, which crossed through start/finish
  • In the builder sidebar, starting at one WP below my finish (10), I deleted, counting up to 82.

3. Then in the sidebar, drag waypoint 1 and others down just before the finish. I had to do this 9 times, until WP 1 jumped up to where I wanted to start on the map.

4. Note: Make sure your road surface type is set. Mine was somehow set to "prefer paved" and it kept rereouting one section, even when I dragged waypoints on the map.

It might have been possible to avoid duplicating multiple deletes by saving interim versions of the map, but it wasn't *too* hard, considering we now have nicely customized day segments that show all the details, including the day's elevations. Hope that helps someone!

vmich
Shkhara

Thanks, Jane. I did try that, and it allowed me to drag a waypoint above the start, thus moving the start, which i *think* was a change from regular mode. But the only way to continue on was basically to start dragging waypoints one by one, and then it eventually started guessing at the path between two points -- going off-route.  Maybe it's worth a try dragging them all in non-manual, but there are something like 80 way points on this 276 k route.

Having not used routes before, I'm starting to wonder if it's even necessary. If we start halfway through, we'll still be on the route.  Just seems it would be nice to put your start and finish in a new spot on an existing route. E.g. a square that has Start/Finish in upper left and the route goes clockwise. WP 1 would be upper right, WP2 lower right, WP3 lower left. If you moved Start/Finish to lower right, WP3 would become WP1, and so on.    But maybe I'm misreading the nature of routes.  Still exploring! Thanks, again.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @vmich 

Sorry for the troubles planning a Route recently.  I would recommend switching to manual mode:

Manual mode
Enable Manual mode to add a waypoint anywhere on the map. There are a few things to be aware of when using this mode:

• Manual mode will no longer ensure your route's path follows roads or trails.
  • Popularity and elevation selectors will be disabled.
  • Distance and elevation can only be roughly estimated for manual edits.

Give that a try and let us know how it works for you.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings