cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GAP

Kellydoc
Mt. Kenya

In the section where it shows splits I am wanting to know what GAP time is. Today is the 1st day I have got these times along with my pace.  I am wondering how it is calculated. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Kellydoc
To add on to what @anchskier noted; Grade Adjusted Pace takes into account the steepness of terrain during your runs and estimates an equivalent pace on flat land. Because running uphill requires extra work, your Grade Adjusted Pace on ascents will be faster than your actual pace. And similarly, when running downhill, your Grade Adjusted Pace will tend to be slower than your actual pace.

The difference between GAP and actual pace generally becomes larger as the grade steepens. Athlete data has shown that the downhill adjustment peaks around -10%, after which it becomes slightly less extreme. Note that GAP does not account for the technical difficulty or condition of the terrain. Learn more about the determination of the GAP model from real-world data, here.

Feel free to read more about the GAP here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917067-Grade-Adjusted-Pace-GAP 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Kellydoc
To add on to what @anchskier noted; Grade Adjusted Pace takes into account the steepness of terrain during your runs and estimates an equivalent pace on flat land. Because running uphill requires extra work, your Grade Adjusted Pace on ascents will be faster than your actual pace. And similarly, when running downhill, your Grade Adjusted Pace will tend to be slower than your actual pace.

The difference between GAP and actual pace generally becomes larger as the grade steepens. Athlete data has shown that the downhill adjustment peaks around -10%, after which it becomes slightly less extreme. Note that GAP does not account for the technical difficulty or condition of the terrain. Learn more about the determination of the GAP model from real-world data, here.

Feel free to read more about the GAP here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917067-Grade-Adjusted-Pace-GAP 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Is GAP based on elapsed pace or moving pace?

anchskier
Denali

The GAP is the "Grade Adjusted Pace".  It is a pace that factors in the grades that split is covering.  So, if you are running uphill, your actual time may be 10 min/mile, but it does a calculation (I don't know the specifics) to figure out what that pace would equate to if it was on flat ground.  

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings