cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use Points of Interest/POI?

VikK
Kilimanjaro

I've seen these poppoing up on the map and not really sure how to use them properly?

I recently found you can long press these and routes pop up but I don;t know if these aer auto-genereated or come from the heatmap of the POI starting there.

I'm interested in seeing POIs for parkrun, in theory that should pop up a 5k route that has been run thousands of times. However, I'm not seeing that so wondered what people were doing with them instead.

Vik
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @VikK

Thanks for posting about Points of Interest. Strava Points of Interest are a map layer that you can view in both Mobile and Web. We generate them by using Open Street Map and looking for spots that our data shows as being popular with Strava Athletes.

ParkRun does sound like a good use case for POI, since it's a spot where runners gather regularly to start a group activity. If you're not seeing one where you expect, you can submit it for inclusion to our maps data provider, OpenStreetMap.

Personally, I've used Points of Interest when I'm cycling in an area I'm unfamiliar with; they're useful for locating coffee shops or other places where you can rest and refuel.

I'm also curious about how other Strava Athletes are utilizing these - anyone else care to share?

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @VikK

Thanks for posting about Points of Interest. Strava Points of Interest are a map layer that you can view in both Mobile and Web. We generate them by using Open Street Map and looking for spots that our data shows as being popular with Strava Athletes.

ParkRun does sound like a good use case for POI, since it's a spot where runners gather regularly to start a group activity. If you're not seeing one where you expect, you can submit it for inclusion to our maps data provider, OpenStreetMap.

Personally, I've used Points of Interest when I'm cycling in an area I'm unfamiliar with; they're useful for locating coffee shops or other places where you can rest and refuel.

I'm also curious about how other Strava Athletes are utilizing these - anyone else care to share?

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

HI Jane, I'd like to use points of interest in the manner which you mention.  Show a coffee shop or market in an area I am unfamiliar with, without putting in officially on my Strava route.   So, how do I do that?  For example, I have a route mapped that I will be following on a Wahoo Bolt.....I know we may need to stop for food, but not sure when w!e will need to do that, so I'd like to have them pop up with an option to choose to route to the point of interest or not.  If I choose to go to the point of interest, will it also direct me back to my route after I make the point of interest?  Does it work like that at all?   Thanks

I didn't realise we could contribute, at first glance it looks a bit complicated!

Vik