cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Swim Time issue

Stuarthitchman1
Mt. Kenya

I am using strava on my mobile phone to record open water swimming. When saving the activity I get a ridiculous time, although the recorded route is accurate. I can get the correct time by resaving as a run and then again as a swim. However, as soon as I share it defaults to a ridiculous time. Anyone else experienced this issue and can it be fixed?

5 REPLIES 5

oshamoiev
Mt. Kenya

I have the same issue. I record my swimming activity with Polar watch. In Strava i get correct  elapsed time but much smaller moving time, and accordingly enormous pace.

froccsos
Mt. Kenya

I don't know why drawing a very detailed path on a map is not considered as 'moving' at the end of the day. My phone also records splits like 30s/100m. (carrying my phone in my safety buoy)

Merijnvdb
Mt. Kenya

I have exactly the same issue. Thanks for pointing out that fix by saving it temporarily as a run. 

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Stuarthitchman1 

Thanks for posting about this.  The Strava Mobile App is not supported for recording swim activities, and may not be able to accurately estimate your moving time, leading to the issue you are reporting.

Sorry about that an apologies for any confusion.  For information on the best way to record swims on Strava, please refer to this article.  

For best results we recommend recording swims with either the Apple Watch or a Wear OS 3 supported watch.  There's also a number of third party devices that are popular.

I hope that helps.  Please let us know if you have further questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi Jane, 

Thanks for your response.

I have to say for a app that doesn't support recording open water swimming it does a very good job. It tracks my path using GPS very well. My phone is located in my safety bouy and keeps a steady connection. This probably helps.

It feels like by default the swim moving time uses something like a minimum speed of 2km/hr. Which I currently often fall under.

By saving as a run and then back to swim it seems to pick a different threshold and fix the issue. Then I get a very accurate moving time (comparable to my garmin watch, which sadly can't hold the GPS connection).

Hence the fix appears relatively simple. Adjust the default minimum speed for moving time for swim activities. Would be great if this can be fixed. For now I simply use the temporarily save as run and save back to swim work around.

Thanks

Merijn