cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOS17 Create a Route and Crop Route Bug and Create a Segment

AndyS
Mt. Kenya

Seem to get a “Mapbox GL not supported by browser” error now that I have moved across to IOS17. Is this an error on my part or a bug from the Apple update not allowing Strava to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @AndyS

Thanks for reaching out! This error message may indicate that your web browser does not support WebGL or you may have a third-party extension that is blocking Mapbox GL from properly rendering on your browser. Third-party extensions could also include Parental controls on a home network, home networking monitoring systems, or proxy services. You may need to disable the extension, upgrade your browser to the latest version, or simply switch to a different browser. We recommend athletes use either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for the best web experience.

How can I check if my browser supports WebGL?

We recommend performing a quick test on your browser to see if WebGL is supported by clicking here. You should see a spinning cube and confirmation that WebGL is supported.

How do I enable WebGL on my browser?

If you have updated to the latest version of your browser and you are still seeing this error, there are various settings adjustments you can make to ensure WebGL is enabled.

Google Chrome: 

1. Click the overflow menu (three dots) in the upper right corner of your browser window and select 'Settings'
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Advanced'
  3. Under 'System', toggle 'Use hardware acceleration when available' to the ON position (the button should be blue)
  4. Refresh or restart Chrome to apply your new settings 

Firefox:

1. Open a Firefox browser page and enter 'about:config' in your URL bar
  2. Search for 'webgl.enable-webgl2' and make sure this preference is set to 'true'. If it is set to false, click the reverse icon to the right to set to true.
  3. Search for 'webgl.force-enabled' and make sure this preference is set to 'true'. If it is set to false, click the reverse icon to the right to set to true.
  4. Search for 'webgl.disabled' and make sure this preference is set to 'false'. If it is set to true, click the reverse icon on the far right to change the value to false.
  5. Restart Firefox to apply your new settings

If the above does not resolve your issue, please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @AndyS

Thanks for reaching out! This error message may indicate that your web browser does not support WebGL or you may have a third-party extension that is blocking Mapbox GL from properly rendering on your browser. Third-party extensions could also include Parental controls on a home network, home networking monitoring systems, or proxy services. You may need to disable the extension, upgrade your browser to the latest version, or simply switch to a different browser. We recommend athletes use either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for the best web experience.

How can I check if my browser supports WebGL?

We recommend performing a quick test on your browser to see if WebGL is supported by clicking here. You should see a spinning cube and confirmation that WebGL is supported.

How do I enable WebGL on my browser?

If you have updated to the latest version of your browser and you are still seeing this error, there are various settings adjustments you can make to ensure WebGL is enabled.

Google Chrome: 

1. Click the overflow menu (three dots) in the upper right corner of your browser window and select 'Settings'
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Advanced'
  3. Under 'System', toggle 'Use hardware acceleration when available' to the ON position (the button should be blue)
  4. Refresh or restart Chrome to apply your new settings 

Firefox:

1. Open a Firefox browser page and enter 'about:config' in your URL bar
  2. Search for 'webgl.enable-webgl2' and make sure this preference is set to 'true'. If it is set to false, click the reverse icon to the right to set to true.
  3. Search for 'webgl.force-enabled' and make sure this preference is set to 'true'. If it is set to false, click the reverse icon to the right to set to true.
  4. Search for 'webgl.disabled' and make sure this preference is set to 'false'. If it is set to true, click the reverse icon on the far right to change the value to false.
  5. Restart Firefox to apply your new settings

If the above does not resolve your issue, please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

The accepted solution does not in any way actually answer the question asked.  Has Strava dropped support for IpadOS?  

Hey @nstelemark
At this time, we do not have a iPad specific application for Strava. However, you can download the iPhone application directly to your iPad device. To find Strava on the App Store please go to Search > Filters > Supports: Select iPhone Only. Then you can type in Strava and our application will be the first to appear:​

Scout_0-1699236866363.png

We do have a suggestion on our ideas board to add a dedicated iPad app. You can check that out here and add your feedback and kudos. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Hi this will work to get access to maps in routes but does not utilize the iPad display in a useful way.  Please see the solution posted here - iPad WebGL fix