cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My route disappears in iOS app when mobile/cell signal is lost

tomsouthall
Mt. Kenya

I am using the iOS Strava app.

If a use a downloaded route map from my saved maps and start the route, I see the orange route line on my map… until I lose cell/mobile internet reception and then the orange route line disappears completely.

As soon as signal is restored it comes back.

Note that this is a downloaded route so I would expect the route data to be available without any internet connection.

I think this is a relatively recent regression as a year ago I never used to have this issue.

As a workaround if I hide the current activity and view the route in Maps > Saved > Saved routes, I DO see the orange route line and my position on it, even with no mobile reception. 

This is currently a huge frustration. Im not sure whether this is a general issue or perhaps unique to some issue with my device, so if there is any way to fix it then I’d love to know.

7 REPLIES 7

Sharvie
Mt. Kenya

I've just completed a 4-day bikepacking trip in the Snowy Mountains Australia. Before starting our trip we prepared 6 routes. The routes were created on my Strava profile then shared to my wife's Strava profile. We downloaded these for off-line use on both of our phones prior to leaving.  When commencing the trip I wasn't even able to access the routes, where on my wife phone she could open them, follow the route and record the ride. She was able to turn her phone off overnight and back on in the morning and re-start the route. I tried numerous times and couldn't access the routes without success. Any ideas why this didn't work on my phone/profile (when I created the routes)? Very disappointing for the $ 100 Australian dollars subscription fee. If it wasn't for my wife's phone this would have jeopardised our navigation.

giad
Mt. Kenya

My hat is off to clowns at Strava - 3 months, and lots of reports and frustrations later, the offline maps simply don't work offline still. Did everyone who used to care quit?

Scout
Moderator Moderator

👋Thanks for bringing this up and sorry for the trouble. We are aware of this issue and it's been escalated to our Engineering team for investigation. Unfortunately, at this time I am unable to provide an expected resolution time frame. However, we will certainly do our best to address this issue as quickly as we can. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

philikon
Mt. Kenya

I have the exact same problem too

NicoCbieng
Mt. Kenya

I am facing exactly the same issue, when offline or in airplane mode the orange route disappears even if the itinerary is already downloaded (off-line mode). This makes no sense as it completely blocks using the app without mobile data in order to save battery hence the app becomes not usable for long routes…

please help how to fix this.

cblankinship
Mt. Kenya

I also experience the same bug, and use the same workaround by going back to "my routes" in order to see the orange route. This has been a huge issue as I continuously miss turns while gravel riding and have to stop 10+ times over the course of a ride to course-correct. I have almost crashed numerous times as a result.

LenHendry
Mt. Kenya

I have the same question, and it is, as you point out very frustrating to lose the display of the downloaded map.