cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New problems in route creation

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

It appears there have been some recent changes in routing that have started causing problems for me.

Here's one example:

https://www.strava.com/routes/3094852996270569588

You can see that instead of simply going straight at the light and crossing the road, Strava's route turns right at Olympic, then makes an illegal U turn across two lanes of traffic. Totally bizarre.

Can someone at Strava take a look? Thanks

30 REPLIES 30

Hi @RobJack thanks for writing in and sorry the tool is giving you trouble. Which road is specifically difficult to make the route pass over? I can look in to what might be happening on our side. Again, thanks for taking the time to write in - really want to figure this out for you! 

Nicky

Returning back down botley road, turning left into nutburn road in north baddesley. Used a waypoint to ensure went that way rather than castle lane. Upon putting end ride in Chandler's Ford Valley Park the routing jumps back to Castle Lane. Never had this problem before so very frustrating and all seems to relate to the pop up box of end ride or place waypoint upon any of the return journey over same route used to go out...Hope this helps

Rob

can you send a link to the route? Having trouble following exactly what is happening, but with the route i can take a look. Thanks much! 

PKH1965
Mt. Kenya

I also am having trouble creating a route.  Here is the start of my route.  I am starting at an entrance to a rail trail and for the first 1.1 miles, I can plot the route with no problems.

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 6.26.01 PM.png

However, when I try to add a point past Meadow Road, the program routes me back to an exit onto Hedges Street, back before to where I got on the rail trail and then routes me along streets to a point back on the rail trail.

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 6.41.24 PM.png

This is super frustrating and using manual mode isn't helpful. This makes it impossible to plan a route.  Any suggestions about how to get around this problem?

Hey @PKH1965 thanks for writing in and sorry you are seeing this issue. We were able to find the section of the map where the routing tool is becoming confused and know what's going wrong. The small section of rail trail that causes an issue was briefly marked as "under construction" for the few days when we were refreshing our "basemap" (the map which determines what can and cannot be ridden across.) Two things 

1. We are working on a permanent solution so that these issues do not happen in the future. 
2. If you toggle on "manual mode" when you reach that section of the trail, which you can do in the sidebar or by clicking command+m (keyboard shortcut) you can lay a straight line section over the trouble spot then click command+m again to turn off manual mode. This should allow you to route over any issues.

I know this solution isn't ideal, and we're working on a permanent fix, so thanks for your patience! Thanks again for writing in. Always happy to hear about ways we can make the tool better! 

- Nick 

Papa_Mike
Mt. Kenya

I am also having problems creating routes. It often will not route on bike paths, instead going backwards making it completely unusable. Manual mode does not always help.  I am very close to stopping my premium account. 

Hi @Papa_Mike - thanks for writing in and sorry you're dealing with some of these fiddly issues. Totally get the frustration. Is there any chance the bike path in question is one-way only? Also, manual mode should always work, can you attach a screen recording of it not? Would really love to fix this! Thanks again for taking the time to help us make the tool better! 

nicky
Strava
Strava

Hi @BikeSandy thank you for taking the time to write in about these issues. I really appreciate the candid and precise feedback! I am the product owner for the route planning tool and have it on our team's plan for the rest of the year to fix these issues. We realize the "UploadGPX" feature is not working as intended in all cases and are going to update it to ensure it respects the original file + track 100% of the time. We will also fix the issue where the builder rewrites parts of the route if you adjust it. Thanks again - we hear you and it will get done!  

Hi @nicky 

I've been experimenting a little this morning, attempting to build a route in the same area that I reported problems previously.

Before when trying to route along a long stretch of gravel track the route builder would not follow the popular route and detour from the direct line between two points.  At the time I realised that I was using "Gravel ride" and/or "Prefer dirt surfaces". With either of these selected the route builder misbehaved. So long as I selected "Ride" and "Any surface type" the route builder seemed to behave as it had always done in the past.

Now (today) the route builder is behaving consistently with "Gravel Ride" or "Ride" selected and "Prefer dirt surfaces" or "Any Surface type" selected. I am able to map the same route without experiencing any unexpected errors regardless of the options selected.

I do still have an example of where the route builder will not follow the obvious path (A to B), however this irregularity has always existed at this location and required a manual adjustment. That is not a problem when it is just an occasional section of the route.

StravaMap1.jpg

It feels like the route builder is now working for me as it had done in the past. Thanks for looking into this problem and the updates that have been made.

Sandy

Hi @BikeSandy thanks for sending all of this over and for the extra detail. Glad to hear you are able to make it work as expected, but we will take a look to see if the preference settings might be causing an issue. It should still work if you have those preferences turned on! Really appreciate the consistent feedback! 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings