cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route sends me down path where cycling is not allowed

sampearce42
Mt. Kenya

Hi there, 

There is a path near me which is designated as a public footpath, but Strava is happy to route cycling routes down it - in the UK there is a distinction in law between bridleway/byway (cycles allowed) and footpath (cycles not allowed). I had a run-in with the landowner yesterday, and they are well within their rights to insist that no cycles are allowed. 

I understand that Strava uses OSM data but this appears to be correctly tagged as a footpath only (see screenshot below) - implying the data is not being correctly grabbed, or the Strava base map needs some kind of refresh. I wonder if there is a way to ensure that Strava does not route cyclists down here in the future. 

FWIW - whether or not this path is appropriate to ride on is irrelevant, the distinction is made in law. I feel there is a delicate truce that must be maintained between landowners and the public regarding access rights and path designations in the UK. Proof of ability to route down this road is also below, approximate co-ordinates are 51.213069,-0.235417 t51.2073260, -0.2296353.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 125724.pngScreenshot 2023-12-28 125841.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @sampearce42 

Thanks for posting about this.  

OSM relies on many contributors.  In addition, OSM and Mapbox are just some of the data sources that Strava integrates. As a result, changes you make may not be reflected exactly the way you may expect them on Strava. For example, if you mark a road as closed to bicycle traffic, that road may still be included in suggested cycling routes if other data sources indicate that the road is open to bicycles.

More details here

Apologies for any confusion over this and please let me know if you have further questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @sampearce42 

Thanks for posting about this.  

OSM relies on many contributors.  In addition, OSM and Mapbox are just some of the data sources that Strava integrates. As a result, changes you make may not be reflected exactly the way you may expect them on Strava. For example, if you mark a road as closed to bicycle traffic, that road may still be included in suggested cycling routes if other data sources indicate that the road is open to bicycles.

More details here

Apologies for any confusion over this and please let me know if you have further questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thanks Jane, I have just looked at the OSM data more closely and seen it is marked as "bicycles: yes" - so I have changed this! Fingers crossed it'll help.