cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava shows incorrect moving time

Mayday_qq
Mt. Kenya

My Garmin device shows different elapsed time and moving time for my indoor activities, but Strava shows the same elapsed time and moving time. That's annoying. I'd like to have the actual moving time shown on strava. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Mayday_qq
Thanks for your post. We are two separate platforms with different calculations so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

We feel confident that we are accurately representing your data, but are always working on improving our calculations and appreciate your feedback. You may want to search our support site for more information and discussions on this topic.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Vaviatrix
Mt. Kenya

Totally agree, this feels like misrepresentation! I’ve only just noticed this and wonder how long it has been going on for?

Rogier
Pico de Orizaba

Makes sense that Strava recalculates moving time from the raw GPS data. If it wouldn't, you could never compare moving times calculated by different devices that all use different proprietory algorithms and speed cutoffs.

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Mayday_qq
Thanks for your post. We are two separate platforms with different calculations so certain aspects of your activity analysis may be different. In general, this is because Strava is more strict about resting time so we remove less of it than Garmin Connect. In other words, we're a bit more likely to consider you moving in places where Garmin considers you stopped. This means that even though the elapsed time is the same, the moving time can be a bit different, which can cause differences in average speed. Strava typically reports a bit more moving time and so a bit slower average speed.

We feel confident that we are accurately representing your data, but are always working on improving our calculations and appreciate your feedback. You may want to search our support site for more information and discussions on this topic.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Strava should be importing the data without changing it. I am running a speed sensor on my Garmin 1040 with the GPS so I think my data would be more accurate than just GPS!

EXACTLY!!

thry should be nothing with it.. it’s passed to Strava which is THIRD PARTY APP.. translate it to your interface and post it .. there should be zero algorithms or anything done with the data that comes from garmin , wahoo, etc- Strava is ok for a lot of things but accuracy is definitely not one of them. - and it’s because they alter the data they receive 

Today I did a ride of 45m51s, no traffic lights and no breaks.. yet Strava gives a time of 46m32. It’s just not possible.

yup noticed on a ride yesterday. Strava added two minutes To the time

I just don’t understand if Strava is the third-party application why are they not just taking the data from Garmin, wahoo etc.. And passing it along to their interface

I disagree that it’s accurate - I spent 45 mins running around a netball court - garmin recorded 45 mins of movement, strava recorded 25 if it had been 35-40 I’d agree

yesterday did Korfball training for almost 2 hours of drills and 2 games of continual movement at pace - garmin recorded 1hr 45 of training - strava said I did 12 mins - so something is faulty in the transfer - I’m wondering if it should have recorded 120 mins not 12? 

all things are up to date and am hoping was just a one off glitch but it doesn’t look good - I understand transfers and compatability issues re software, but it’s a significant difference 

This doesn’t make sense to me. 
if garmin is the one connected its own satellites and gathering information to its app, and a garmin device is set to “auto pause “ for example at say.. 1-2 mph. Why would Strava come up with its own algorithm and add or remove time which will effect average speeds, max speeds, moving time etc..

if Strava is third party in these instances and not being used at all to record anything- why is it adding or removing stuff. It should just be taking the information that is being sent from garmin, wahoo etc..and adding it to Stravas gui- that’s it- so basically Strava is changing the data it receives