cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava time stamps are not local time?

ulfhjensen
Shkhara

HI community,

I have been using Strava for the past 14 months with full subscription and find it great for aggregating all my activities.

Lately I have noticed that the Strava Clock is not my local clock, the Strava clock is apparently Strava server time. Example in question, on the 2nd of February I did 3 activities starting local times 8.59 AM, 9.52 AM and 10.26 AM. These were exported to Strava with time stamps 1st of February 11.59 PM,  2nd of February at 12.52 AM and 1.26 AM.

According to Strava time I did 1 activity on the 1st and 2 activities on the 2nd of February when I in local time did 3 activities before noon on the 2nd of February. All local times are exported -9 hrs.

It might have been like this for a long time, but I only discovered it today.

How do I "reset" the Strava clock to my local time?

/Ulf

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @ulfhjensen 

Thanks for posting. It sounds like your timezone may not be set correctly. We use your account's timezone to determine start time for activities that do not contain GPS information (indoor, workouts, swims, etc.). Please try the following:

1. Access your account through the Strava Website
  2. Go to Profile > Settings
  3. Select your current location and type in Los Angeles & Save (this is to reset the time zone, we recognize this is not your accurate location. You will reset your location in step 5)
  4. Select Refresh Page​​
  5. Enter in your correct location & Save.
  6. Select Refresh Page (if the time zone still does not refresh to match your location please try step 3 again and then refresh the page followed to ensure the time zone and location match. Then enter your correct location again and refresh the time zone). Sometimes the timezone gets stuck and just needs to get adjusted back and forth to reset itself. Once it is set and is accurate it will not revert back.

This should resolve the time zone issue you are experiencing for all future activities. Unfortunately, the only way to fix the timestamps on your existing activities is to re-upload them. This will require that any existing versions of that activity get deleted so that the new version(s) can be uploaded. Keep in mind this will remove all kudos, comments, and photos associated with the original activity.

Please give that a try and let us know if it solves the problem.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

Hello @ulfhjensen 

Thanks - be sure to let us know if this resolves the issue.

Jane (she/her)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @ulfhjensen 

Thanks for posting. It sounds like your timezone may not be set correctly. We use your account's timezone to determine start time for activities that do not contain GPS information (indoor, workouts, swims, etc.). Please try the following:

1. Access your account through the Strava Website
  2. Go to Profile > Settings
  3. Select your current location and type in Los Angeles & Save (this is to reset the time zone, we recognize this is not your accurate location. You will reset your location in step 5)
  4. Select Refresh Page​​
  5. Enter in your correct location & Save.
  6. Select Refresh Page (if the time zone still does not refresh to match your location please try step 3 again and then refresh the page followed to ensure the time zone and location match. Then enter your correct location again and refresh the time zone). Sometimes the timezone gets stuck and just needs to get adjusted back and forth to reset itself. Once it is set and is accurate it will not revert back.

This should resolve the time zone issue you are experiencing for all future activities. Unfortunately, the only way to fix the timestamps on your existing activities is to re-upload them. This will require that any existing versions of that activity get deleted so that the new version(s) can be uploaded. Keep in mind this will remove all kudos, comments, and photos associated with the original activity.

Please give that a try and let us know if it solves the problem.

Jane (she/her)

I tried the same steps and it is not working for me. Can you please let me know how to fix the issue

I've been having this same problem except Strava keeps setting my activities as having happened in the future. I use a Withings watch and after I finish tracking an activity on Withings, I get an immediate notification from Strava congratulating me for my workout, but then it still doesn't actually put my workout in until like 9 hours later, which often makes it tomorrow. THEN, because the time stamp is so wildly different, Strava talks to Withings and Withings imports the Strava workout as an entirely new one, so I end up with a double record in Withings and a just plain incorrect record on Strava. I've tried these instructions you gave here and they did not fix anything. Help?

Thanks, Jane.

I did as suggested and will have a session tomorrow and check out the result and let you know.

Hello @ulfhjensen 

Thanks - be sure to let us know if this resolves the issue.

Jane (she/her)

That did solve the "problem". Many thanks for your suggestion, Jane.

ulfhjensen
Shkhara

No suggestions?

Wrong forum?

/Ulf