cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Heatmap Popularity When Creating Suggested Routes to Avoid Unsafe Roads

Being a paid subscriber, I've been exploring the use of Suggested Routes in my area via the Strava app. Every suggested route from my home location includes a very unsafe, high-speed, high-traffic road with no bike lane or paved shoulder when the option for a safer route nearby exists. If Strava has the ability to "follow most popular" segments when building routes via the website based off heatmap data, why can't Strava incorporate this type of AI to create suggested routes from the app that map to the "most popular" segments? This would likely avoid segments/roads with little or no heatmap activity and keep cyclists off more dangerous routes. In the attached image, suggested routes include the road circled in red EVERY time. The safer route would be in green.Screenshot_20230602-120413-210.png

A similar suggestion was made here (https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/strava-features-chat/unsafe-routes/m-p/2081), but the logic of my suggestion is a bit different and would be easier to implement, I think, and would be more "automatic" without relying on user ratings, which may be minimal or non-existent in some ares.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Тімоті_Перріш 

Thanks for posting about routes, they're a popular Strava feature and we're happy to hear you're using them.

We already do use heatmap data when creating suggested routes.  Route recommendations are based on public Strava activities and open-source data from OpenStreetMap.  Suggested routes use the data we have available. They may not be perfect and conditions may change, so always use your best judgment, be safe, and follow the rules of the road or trail.

I would encourage you to check out this existing feature suggestion where another Community member has encountered a similar problem and suggested a potential solution.  

Thanks again for posting!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Тімоті_Перріш 

Thanks for posting about routes, they're a popular Strava feature and we're happy to hear you're using them.

We already do use heatmap data when creating suggested routes.  Route recommendations are based on public Strava activities and open-source data from OpenStreetMap.  Suggested routes use the data we have available. They may not be perfect and conditions may change, so always use your best judgment, be safe, and follow the rules of the road or trail.

I would encourage you to check out this existing feature suggestion where another Community member has encountered a similar problem and suggested a potential solution.  

Thanks again for posting!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings