cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmaiale
Shkhara

While using the Strava app, it would be great to be able to see other unknown Bluetooth (BLE) devices that may be nearby.  

I have found many times riding in heavily wooded areas that either other mountain bike riders, hikers, or even myself, have been surprised or nearly hit by oncoming mountain bikers.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there could be an icon on the map that showed other unknown BLE devices and their relative strength?  This BLE signal strength could be used to determine the distance away and if the device is getting closer.  Perhaps play an audible tone that changes to indicate proximity?

With almost everyone carrying a device like a phone, watch, fitbit, etc., this idea/technology could be extremely helpful in minimizing, if not preventing, dangerous collisions on trails.

3 Comments
Status changed to: Gathering Kudos
Soren
Denali

Thanks for submitting your idea to enhance safety on the trails. It has been reviewed by our moderation team and is now open to voting.

I personally don't know a lot of cyclists who ride with their phones mounted on their bikes, but I see how this could be very helpful. Some cycling computers offer this feature, but then are only visible if one is on the same platform. The real mission is having everyone on board and doing their part to minimize the risk of collision.

dmaiale
Shkhara

Thanks @Soren!  I do have my phone mounted on my bike, an apple watch and an E-mountain bike.  All three constantly broadcast BLE signals.

I believe even fitbits have Bluetooth too.  Anything that has Bluetooth will transmit its unique ID.  I'd have to think the cycling computers do this too.  And, since BLE is universal and a standard, proprietary platforms will not be an issue.  BLE is BLE no matter what platform the user is using.

Please take a look at an app like Air Tracker for IOS.  It has the Bluetooth tracking features that I think could/should be built directly into Strava.  This could easily highlighting/identifying other riders and people that are carrying a BLE device.  Perhaps trails could include signage for users to carry a Bluetooth device to "get everyone on board".

The technology is already here....its just waiting to be integrated with Strava. 

"Bring Bluetooth, Don't be Invisible"

Soren
Denali

Fantastic, thanks so much for this additional context. I'll be sure to pass this on! We appreciate your input and participation in the community!