cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nickdf
Shkhara

Segment errors: We have a lot of tracks on our 12ha bush block, which I run/jog/climb around and  if I happen to pass the start and finish of a segment but by a different track that is recorded as a segment time. This could be rectified by including checking some GPS points along the segment being recorded rather than just the start and finish.

2 Comments
Status changed to: Existing
Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Nickdf 

Thanks for posting about this. Our current segment matching algorithm takes more data into account than just the start and finish points of the segment.  However some types of segments work better on Strava than others. If segments run parallel to other segments, it may not be possible for Strava to provide mutually exclusive results. This happens because our system allows for some small margin of error to account for GPS drift.

Check out this article for detailed information for the kinds of segments that will work best on Strava.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Nickdf
Shkhara

Understood, but in one case I ran near the start of a segment then around a different circuit past the end of it and was recorded running it despite never setting foot on it. These are bush tracks (6 -8m high trees) so its possible the GPS wasn't that accurate.