cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisbillingham
Shkhara

Hey!

So when looking at my map or a route, I can scroll along and see the cumulative distance into that route. But what I'd love to also see is the cumulative elevation gain/descent to that point as well.

Often when looking at routes, particularly if I'm training for a race, I'd love to know how much climb there's been up to that point. For example I have a very hilly race coming up soon and I'm trying to match the climb profile to a route(s) around where I live and that's proving very difficult. A cumulative elevation gain and descent stats on that route would allow me to plan for a 10 mile route with 2250 ft of elevation but with 1500 ft in the first 4 miles (for example).

4 Comments
Status changed to: New Idea
Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @chrisbillingham,
Thanks for creating your idea regarding elevation within route planning.
It has been reviewed by our moderation team and is now open to voting.

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Status changed to: Gathering Kudos
Bryant
Moderator Moderator

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

victorls
Shkhara

Hello

Altitude difference between end and start point is not super helpful. For example, for a loop, it will always be 0.

Cumulated elevation gain would be more useful.

thanks!

MC48197
Mt. Kenya

Agree.  Definitely would love to see Cumulative Elevation on a map/route.  Currently, you see a route map above and the contour/profile below using the left axis for altitude.  Cumulative Elevation could be added on the right axis.  When sliding over the route, the pop up box would then show Distance, Altitude/elevation, slope and Cumulative Elevation.  I might do a route with 2000' of climbing over 20 miles.  But it's important to understand how to meter my effort if 75% of the climbing occurs in the last 5 miles, for example.