cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Odie2024
Shkhara

Road cyclists may want to avoid bicycle paths when traveling around public roads; yet still follow popular roads for cyclists. This is because:

• bicycle paths may enter dark, damp, and unsafe areas (especially when dark). E.g. my last ride took me through a dark forest/path at night which had no lighting, was damp/wet (compared to the road) and had wild dogs running around.
  • bicycle paths may be clogged with other pedestrians of have many slow bends/turns
  • bicycle paths may require moving much slower for the conditions of the path, rather than smoother / faster nearby roads

The feature request is therefore to still have the "Follow most popular" option for Route creation, but also have an option to avoid bicycle paths (perhaps as multi-choice toggle in the "surface type" options).

I acknowledge that it's possible to manually locate and re-adjust a route, but this is tedious and error prone for long routes.

2 Comments
derx
Mt. Kenya

The idea behind that is that for the current heatmaps, the "Ride" category also contains a lot of previous gravel and MTB rides (from before they got their own category). It also still gets quite a lot of rides from people on normal city bikes that ride on bike paths and roads not suitable for a road bike. 

With the addition of the new weekly heatmap (which is a great feature), it would be awesome if you could get a heatmap with purely Road bikes. This would make route planning much better, and it would save a lot of time double checking roads I've never ridden before to see if they are really suitable to ride one. And you don't get nasty surprises mid route that you end up on a road that just chews up your expensive tires. 

Status changed to: Open To Voting
Jane
Moderator Moderator

Thanks for submitting your idea. It has been reviewed by our moderation team and is now open to voting.

Please note the following: 

• We receive a large number of ideas, and even some very popular ideas will not make it to the implementation stage
  • Popular ideas (ideas that get lots of votes) will be regularly surfaced to our Product Teams for review
  • The number of votes an idea gets is only one factor that’s considered when we plan our roadmap
  • When we receive updates from our Product Teams on the status of an idea, we will share as much information as we can
  • We strive to be transparent as possible, but please remember that we may not explain or justify why we might prioritize the development of some features over others

For more information, please review our Guide to Ideas.

Note: The idea title was edited so it will be easier for others to search and vote on. 

Thank you again.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team