cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Murph Challenge 2024

Shant
Denali

Anyone training for Murph this year on Memorial Day?

The workout: 

1 mile run
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats
1 mile run

wearing a 20lb weight vest!

You don't have to do the reps straight through. One of the most common variations is 20 sets x (5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats). I am training without the weight vest and fewer reps to build up strength. The training feels good. The full workout is tough. Hard to keep going, but you feel amazing after you finish. 

Shant Hagopian
Attorney & Athlete
Next race: LA Marathon (3/17/24)
3 REPLIES 3

Shant
Denali

My first time was Memorial Day 2020. It was terrible lmao. I didn't train for the specific workout. I just went for it. The second run was tough.

In 2023, I really started training for the workout specifically. I focused on improving strategy like dividing the reps, doing it at a park so I am closer to a pull up bar, and form so I can keep moving. Progress made it fun. so I wanted to do it every other weekend. I think I did the full version 5 more times or so in the summer and then different modified versions without the vest in between as part of the training. I stopped after some time. Just kept up push-ups and squats in between. 

It's great because it's like a race against time and a full body workout. I haven't done Murph yet in 2024, but the training is fun again. 

Shant Hagopian
Attorney & Athlete
Next race: LA Marathon (3/17/24)

Good luck with the training - sounds like you might be on track to beat your previous PR.  We'll definitely be checking in after Memorial Day to see how it went.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @Shant 

I'm curious how many Murphs you have done prior to the one you're training for now?  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings