cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava split time does not add up to total Elapsed Time

lesterdgreat
Mt. Kenya

Please help me to understand this. 

It said that I got a PR on 5k and 10k in this specific race. But when I total every splits it doesn't add up. I already try all the TYPE OF ACTIVTY but still it does not total to my elapsed time.

8b42c44c-9eda-45fd-addf-2d706ed0e97d.jpgba5e71ad-88b8-41ad-ba4f-dc55dbd3ba99.jpgthis is the split time using the RACE modethis is the split time using the RACE modeI manually total the split time but i does not add up.I manually total the split time but i does not add up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

anchskier
Denali

The PR's don't necessarily correlate with the first 5k or 10k of the activity.  They are the "best" 5k or 10k section of the activity.  So, your 5k PR time from a run will almost certainly not be the same time as the first 5k you ran, it will take whatever 5k portion of the overall activity that was the fastest.  If your first kilometer was slower, but then you sped up for the next 5k, then it would pull the PR from the 2-6k range.  It also won't line up right on a specific kilometer split, so you will never be able to match you splits to a PR distance unless the activity was exactly that distance.  As far as the 10k PR, you ran a little over 10k, so the 10k PR will shave off some from one or both ends, and again, won't necessarily match up with your splits since it may start partway into the first kilometer and stop partway into the last split.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

anchskier
Denali

The PR's don't necessarily correlate with the first 5k or 10k of the activity.  They are the "best" 5k or 10k section of the activity.  So, your 5k PR time from a run will almost certainly not be the same time as the first 5k you ran, it will take whatever 5k portion of the overall activity that was the fastest.  If your first kilometer was slower, but then you sped up for the next 5k, then it would pull the PR from the 2-6k range.  It also won't line up right on a specific kilometer split, so you will never be able to match you splits to a PR distance unless the activity was exactly that distance.  As far as the 10k PR, you ran a little over 10k, so the 10k PR will shave off some from one or both ends, and again, won't necessarily match up with your splits since it may start partway into the first kilometer and stop partway into the last split.

Thank you so much for this. Now I understood that 5k PR is not mean the first 5k splits.

But I still somehow confuse about my splits not sum up to my Total Elapsed time. Can you enlighten me about this?

@lesterdgreat - The splits you have included in your spreadsheet only cover 10km.  If you look at your file, you actually ran 10.14km, so you are missing the time for that last 0.14 kilometer.  You can see on the strava screenshot titled "splits", it shows one more split for just that last 0.1 (rounded) kilometer at a pace of 6.43.  That last little bit isn't factored into your spreadsheet, so would account for the difference between your total and the elapsed time shown in the file.