cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattS_bsb
Elbrus

Seeing the new features rolled out is great, but there's still work to be done matching functionality between app and website.  Ideally, if it's important enough to exist in one, it should also be in the other.  Examples:

1. Adding Gear: Given that STRAVA now has so many activity categories, it would be nice to add gear other than shoes and bikes; I log roughly 20 miles per week on a Concept2 rower, and would like to aggregate that data in the app/website.

2. Segment creation/searching/exploring:  Searching is clunky on the app, but very intuitive on the website, and creation of segments is only available through the website.

3. Course Creation/searching/exploring: Similar to Segments, creation is somewhat cumbersome on the app to the point where folks just don't use it; I make it a point to only create routes on the website for the sake of my own sanity.  In dire straits, I actually prefer the CityStrides route builder over that of either STRAVA or Garmin Connect apps.

4. FlyBy:  This was once an awesome function, albeit only really viewable from the website, and since STRAVA changed their privacy policies making the user default as 'opted out', it's essentially unused.  Also, FlyBy isn't widely advertised as a feature, and not obvious to app users that it even exists.

5. Muting Activities:  An activity can only be muted through the app, and not the website.

6. Managing Goals:  Currently only Running, Cycling, and Swimming distance goals can be viewed/managed through the website, but other activities like Rowing can be viewed/managed through the app.

7. Choosing Favorite Athletes/Activity Alerts:  Designation of specific friends/athletes as "favorites" and opting into notifications of their activities is only available through the app.

8. Although not available on either the website or the app, the ability to simply edit your comment on someone's activity would be very helpful, and seems like pretty low-hanging fruit.

42 Comments
CreakyCrank
Kilimanjaro

YES!  I often find myself trying to do something on the mobile app that is 'web only' and vice versa.  I think feature parity is critical (especially given that the 'younger generations' are primarily mobile only, and some of the, uh... not as young, are more likely to use laptops/computers).  

Status changed to: Gathering Kudos
Soren
Denali

cy-linder
Pico de Orizaba

Hello @MattS_bsb,

very good ideas!!
I also raised a feature suggestion regarding the missing flyby feature in the app (Flybys feature in the app).

I also like your suggestion to add and edit the gear we use in STRAVA. I would also love to see the opportunity to add and edit the parts of my bike like it is possible on the website.

The possibilty to edit comments I did would be very helpfull especially in case of type faults.

@Soren: Would i be helpfull to raise seperate feature suggestions for each of the 8 points above?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/62919839
Soren
Denali

@cy-linder honestly, yes. It would be much better to enlist each suggestion individually. 

cy-linder
Pico de Orizaba

Thanks @Soren.

@MattS_bsbwould you mind to raise single suggestions for each of your good points above?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/62919839
CreakyCrank
Kilimanjaro

I do understand the desire to have each feature individually listed for voting, but honestly, if we had app/web parity, we wouldn't have to... each feature would just exist everywhere and we could simply just ask for a feature.  Do we have to specify in our feature suggestions which platform we want it on?  Can we get some level of commitment (going forward) that features would be developed cross-platform? 

My concern is that we put in a request for "gear that does x", and then it gets implemented on only 1 platform, and not necessarily the one that the original poster wanted, so then they put in another request to also have that feature on a specific platform.

rsmacleod
Mt. Kenya

I have a nice list of bikes on Strava and appreciate this feature.  But I also paddle different kayaks and would like to include the specific boat I am using.  Is this a possible feature for Strava to add?

Also, thanks for the relatively new ability to mark kayaking as an activity on the Apple Watch app!  I got tired of pretending I could walk on water 😉

Cheers, Rob

CreakyCrank
Kilimanjaro

@rsmacleod - but walking on water seems like a neat trick 🙂

smasyn
Mt. Kenya

Hi,

Could Fatigue or Form be displayed in the app. Perhaps as an indicator on your Personal Screen. 

Additionally, would it make sense to display a prediction by when your form level would become positive to plan ahead for your next training?

Kind Regards,

Serge

PoppyRex
Shkhara

in the android mobile app you can see how many times I have ridden a segment, on the PC you cannot see how many times I have ridden a segment.

Both the mobile app and the PC version should display the same information, zimple, consistent

anchskier
Denali

@PoppyRex  When I open a segment leaderboard on the PC, it shows my stats at the top right, including my all time PR and the number of "segment efforts".  It may not be in the same location as you see it on the mobile app, but it is there on the PC version.

Status changed to: Gathering Kudos
Soren
Denali

Thanks for submitting your idea. It has been reviewed by our moderation team and is now open to voting.

robcash1011
Shkhara

Great suggestions!

I've spent a large part of my career in digital platforms developing internet facing apps for large audiences, and I can't believe how different the app and website experiences are. It's nearly two completely different sites save for the branding. 

stefansv
Mt. Kenya

I second the general idea. Strava should do a better job at equalising the desktop and mobile experience and features. Route building especially, but there are other things like fitness and freshness. It's only fitness on mobile... One should ask themselves, would you pay for the mobile version only? I am in the middle of a three-month period without desktop PC and the answer so far is no, even considering unsubscribing in general. That should be a big red flag for the devs.

anchskier
Denali

Please update the Strava mobile app so that it has the same functionality as the website.  When adding a manual activity, the website allows me to add the elevation gain.  This is not an option on the Strava mobile app.  Why not?  I have a recurring glitch with my Zwift account (not related to Strava) that frequently results in me having to manually enter the data from a portion of a Zwift ride into Strava.  To include the elevation gain, I am only able to do this through the web version of Strava.  Please make it so that we can input the same data from the mobile app as from the web app.