cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelG
Shkhara

Hello,

I've been an avid Strava user for years and have greatly benefited from its features and the incredible community it fosters. However, I recently encountered a challenge that has inspired an idea I believe could significantly enhance the Strava experience for many users, especially those like me who have transitioned from bustling cycling scenes to quieter areas.

**The Idea: Real-World Group Ride Discovery**

In a nutshell, I envision a new feature in Strava that empowers users to easily discover and connect with nearby riders for real-world group rides. Here's how it would work:

1. **Map View Button:** Add a button at the bottom of the Strava app's main screen, granting users quick access to a dedicated map view.

2. **Local GPS Map:** When this button is pressed, users would be directed to a screen displaying a GPS map of their local area.

3. **Public View Rider Icons:** On this map, icons resembling profile pictures (similar to Waze and Snapchat) would represent nearby riders who have their privacy settings set to "public view."

4. **Interactive Icons:** Enable users to hover over or click on these rider icons to access more information.

5. **Profile Information:** When clicking on a rider icon, a pop-up would reveal key details about the rider, including their average speed, FTP (Functional Threshold Power) score, and additional relevant information.

6. **Ride Request:** Implement a feature that allows users to send ride request messages directly to these nearby riders, expressing their interest in joining their ride.

7. **Ride Details:** Include quick info about the rider's current ride, such as its duration or destination if available.

**Why This Feature Matters:**

For users like me who have moved from active cycling scenes, this feature would be a game-changer. It would bridge the gap and offer an experience similar to online platforms like Zwift by providing instant access to social group rides and challenging training opportunities. It fosters a sense of community and encourages social interactions within the Strava network.

**Conclusion:**

I genuinely believe that this feature could enhance the Strava experience and bring cyclists closer together, particularly in regions where finding group rides has proven challenging.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this idea. I'm excited about the potential it holds for Strava users like myself and others seeking to connect with fellow cyclists in their local area.

Michael,

2 Comments
Jan_Mantau
Denali

That's a very thoroughly thought through idea! However, it seems like a huge programming effort for something only few athletes would profit of. The reason for that is that most serious riders don't use the Strava app for recording their rides because of its very basic sensor and live stats features and the general battery and visibility problems when using a smartphone instead of a dedicated head unit. And the riders that do use it mostly don't make such long rides that it would be worthwile for you to join or they have their phones not in their reach to see your request. It would be nice anyway for that feature to exists but I doubt we'll see it in the next ten years.

Status changed to: Gathering Kudos
Jane
Moderator Moderator

​​Thanks for submitting your idea. It has been reviewed by our moderation team and is now open to voting.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team