cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio notifications stopped working

tpet1433
Mt. Kenya

As of a few days ago, my audio notifications have stopped working. Strava doesn't announce when I start or stop a work out or my miles. I am using Android on a Samsung phone. I have tried all of the following:

- Reboots

- Uninstalling/re-installing Strava (with reboots)

- All 4 volumes are up

- Matching my Text-to-Speech language with my system language (English on both)

- Turning off and on the audio cues for miles and start/stop

- With and without headphones. I hear other notifications, such as texts in both cases

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Scout, what ended up working for me was switching the Preferred engine for Text-to-speech from from Samsung text-to-speech engine to Speech Recognition and Synthesis from Google.

I opened a support ticket, #2797175, but still haven't heard back.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @tpet1433
Thanks for your post. Apologies for the trouble. In order for audio cues to work, please try the following troubleshooting tips:

• Try reinstalling the Strava app and restarting your phone.
  • Audio cues are only available for runs or rides. Cues are not available for other activity types (i.e. walk, hike, e-bike).
  • Double-check that your audio announcement settings are still enabled. Occasionally, your recording settings will be reset if you log out of the Strava app. 
  • Ensure that your media volume, not just your ringer volume, is turned up to an audible level.
    • Android phones often have three or four settings for volume. Try turning them all up.
    • You can also put on some music to confirm the volume is on. When music is playing, “media” volume will be used. If no music is playing, ringer volume will be used. Also noteworthy, ringer volume may not play through Bluetooth headphones.
  • On Android phones, check your Text To Speech language options and confirm the preferred engine matches your system's language preference.
    • Android OS 5 (Lollipop)
      1. Open Settings app.
      2. Tap Language & input.
      3. Tap Text-to-speech output
      4. Tap Gear icon
      5. Confirm Language is set to system language
      6. If it is not listed, go back a page and tap Install voice data and download your desired language
      7. Tap Language again and set the new language

• Android OS 6 (Marshmallow)
      • From the Home screen, tap Apps.
      • Open Settings app.
      • Tap Language & input.
      • Tap Text-to-speech output.
      • Tap Gear icon.
      • Confirm Language is set to system language.
      • If it is not listed, go back a page and tap Install voice data and download your desired language.
      • Tap Language again and set the new language.

• Android OS 7 (Nougat)
      1. Open the Settings app.
      2. Select Accessibility under System.
      3. Select Text-to-speech output.
      4. Tap 'Gear' icon next to Preferred engine.
      5. Select the language to match you system language.
      6. If it is not appearing in the list, go back to the previous screen and tap 'Install voice data'.
      7. Find your desired language in the list and download it.
      8. Go back to Preferred Engine list and select the downloaded language.

I hope this helps! If you continue to have issues, please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thanks Scout, what ended up working for me was switching the Preferred engine for Text-to-speech from from Samsung text-to-speech engine to Speech Recognition and Synthesis from Google.

I opened a support ticket, #2797175, but still haven't heard back.

This worked for me too, audio cues were working fine for me until last week so Samsung may have messed up something in an update

Hey @tpet1433,
Thanks for the followup; glad you were able to get it working again. You should hear back from someone on our support team shortly; we do prioritize tickets from our subscribers, however as a small support team, we do our best to get to everyone's support requests as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team