cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correcting street maps ?

Ian
Elbrus

I recently noticed that two street names on a Strava map were the wrong way around.  The street names have been used in the names of some Strava Segments, which causes some minor confusion.  The Strava map (at least in the UK) comes from OpenStreetMap.  I corrected the 2 street names via the OSM website (it's all open source) but when I look today the names on Strava are still incorrect.

Hence my question - presumably there is some delay between a change being made in OSM and it reaching Strava.  Does anyone know how long this typically takes ? (I have a slight concern that I may have missed a step in the process of getting things corrected)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Ian,

Unfortunately, I can't confirm a definite time frame but I would expect the change to take a few weeks or more.

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ian
Elbrus

OK - thanks for the background.  So would you expect my minor corrections to OSM to reach Strava in a couple of days or does it usually take much longer ? (it now shows correctly in OSM but not yet in Strava).  I've not corrected OSM before so I'm not 100% sure I did it correctly.

Hey @Ian,

Unfortunately, I can't confirm a definite time frame but I would expect the change to take a few weeks or more.

KBryant24

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Ian

We strive to bring in new updates from OSM in a timely manner while still ensuring fairness, correctness, and completeness of data.

We work with a company called Mapbox to provide most of the actual maps that athletes see, including those that are used to draw and display Routes. You can read more about what goes into those maps here. Like Strava, Mapbox uses OSM, though the rate of ingestion of new changes in OSM does not always line up between the two. This means that what you may see on the maps (from Mapbox) may be slightly different than what actually gets drawn when you attempt to make a Route inside Strava, especially for very recent OSM changes.

OSM relies on many contributors, not just yours. In addition, OSM and Mapbox are just some of the data sources that Strava integrates. As a result, changes you make may not be reflected exactly the way you may expect them on Strava. For example, if you mark a road as closed to bicycle traffic, that road may still be included in suggested cycling routes if other data sources indicate that the road is open to bicycles.

KBryant24

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings