cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display MAX SPEED: Who cares about calories!? (which is a joke stat, anyway)

L_McLoskey
Shkhara

My Strava activities on my phone used to default to displaying distance, elevation gain, time, average speed, and MAX SPEED, but at some point with no warning or explanation it stopped displaying Max Speed and instead shows calories.
I have friends whose activity feeds still default to show both avg and max speed, while others show calories -- but nobody knows how or why that changed, and nobody knows how to change it.
Sure, I can click "view analysis" to see my Max Speed, but I don't want to do that. I want my activity feed to automatically display Max Speed. WHO CARES about calories (which of all the stats on Strava is basically a total joke & super inaccurate, anyway!)?

HOW can I change that? Strava does it for some people already (and used to do it for me), soooooo it's obviously possible. But I can't find any info anywhere!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @L_McLoskey ,

That's a great question. The activity data you see on your dashboard may be slightly different from activity to activity depending on the activity type and the activity itself.

For example, for a running activity, the elevation will appear in place of pace/speed if the elevation gain is greater than 100ft per mile. Otherwise, pace/speed will be visible on the dashboard.

The information you see may also be dependent on the length of the text. For example, if you are not seeing elevation or pace but an empty space this may be because the time and distance take up more room on the screen, and therefore the next set of data (elevation or pace) is not displayed since there is limited room.

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

fixed
Mt. Kenya

Not sure if you have figured this out yet but the trick, for anyone who is having the same problem with max speed not displaying is to uncheck all the boxes for the “type of ride” you can change this on previous rides through edit activity and then it’ll display the max speed on the dashboard. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but that does not work. I have all the "type of ride" boxes unchecked, but Max Speed does NOT appear on the activities, but Calories, instead.

Kurtoz
Mt. Kenya

I have noticed if I track my ride as a “ride” get Max Speed on the dashboard but if I track it as “Mountain Bike Ride” I get Calories instead of Max Speed on the dashboard. I agree with you that this would be nice to be configurable.

Miroslav
Mt. Kenya

With all due respect, I don't think you answered the question, @Bryant. The question was "HOW can I change that?". So, how can one see his/her maximum speed on the dashboard instead of calories? Is it configurable by the user?

Hey @Miroslav,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. Unfortunately, this is not configurable by the user.

KBryant24

Hm, OK. And yet some users I know personally show "Max Speed" as the default, while mine (and most others I know) shows "Calories." So if a user cannot modify/customize it, please explain WHY this difference exists? I can even provide screenshots. It's 100% the case, but nobody knows why.

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @L_McLoskey ,

That's a great question. The activity data you see on your dashboard may be slightly different from activity to activity depending on the activity type and the activity itself.

For example, for a running activity, the elevation will appear in place of pace/speed if the elevation gain is greater than 100ft per mile. Otherwise, pace/speed will be visible on the dashboard.

The information you see may also be dependent on the length of the text. For example, if you are not seeing elevation or pace but an empty space this may be because the time and distance take up more room on the screen, and therefore the next set of data (elevation or pace) is not displayed since there is limited room.

KBryant24

This is still unanswered (and unresolved). I'm told there is no way to do that, and yet Strava already shows Max Speed on the activities for some people
Here is a screenshot of two recent rides: One of mine (with the activity showing "Calories") and one of a friend (with the activity showing "Max Speed"). I asked this person how they did it, and they responded "I don't know. I didn't change any setting!"  So obviously Strava can do this, and yet we cannot?? We can't even get a simple answer about it??
BTW: It's super annoying and dumb that Strava does not allow you to upload pics to the community conversations. So I had to upload it to Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/50zf1t7bzbxr19wbfuzhg/Strava_screenshots.jpg?rlkey=0arxs5a6b6fa43ghgw...

You cannot have it in run mode running mode only shows you pace. Open the run you wanna see and then change it to soccer and save it, then it should show your max speed. I was able to do this with old runs.