cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static bike/elliptical/rowing machine distance

vixand26
Shkhara

Any chance that we could log the distance covered on a static machine eg stationary bike, elliptical, rowing machine? It’s frustrating that these are excluded from the progress tab!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @vixand26 

Thanks for your reply.  If you're not recording the data, you can enter the distance by creating a manual entry and you will be able to input the distance.

By creating a manual activity, you can add it to Strava even if you didn't record it with a GPS device. Enter the time and distance for an activity (like a ride, run, hike, walk, etc.). This is a great way to keep track of your training, even if you aren't able to record with a GPS device.

On the web, select the plus sign icon in the upper right-hand corner. Select Add manual entry from the drop-down list.

On Android, select the plus sign icon on the bottom right of your feed and choose Manual Activity.

On iOS, select the plus sign icon in the upper left-hand corner and then Manual Activity.

Full instructions for manual entry

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this topic.  We do have an existing feature suggestion for this over on our ideas board.  We would welcome your vote (kudos) and comments you would like to add.

Check it out here

Thanks so much for your contributions.

Jane (she/her)

Hi Jane, I’m sorry but this suggestion isn’t connected to what we’re asking. Sure we want to be able to edit an activity once completed but we’re specifically asking for a distance field to be added to a static bike activity. It’s such a simple ask! I work in digital product design, I can assure you it’s possible!

Hi @vixand26 

Thanks for your reply and apologies for any confusion.  This existing idea submission covers what you are suggesting (adding distance), as well as adding time, and editing distance and/or time.  

We get many hundreds of ideas submitted each year, and we merge similar ideas together.  This means that we may merge your idea with another idea on that subject, even if what you are proposing is not identical.  This helps us gather feedback on a particular feature in one central location which makes it easier for our Product Teams to review.  It also prevents votes/kudos from being split across multiple, similar ideas, which reduces the visibility of the core topic. 

Jane (she/her)

Steve78
Mt. Kenya

Agreed.  It is frustrating that I have to choose between time / calories / heartrate and distance.  I can't have both on static workouts and have to delete that recorded on my Garmin, so as to be able to manually enter the activity again in order to record the distance.  Would be great to be able to go back into an activity recorded on my Garmin and add the distance later.

Aaronw65
Mt. Kenya

It is very sad this day and age that we cannot update an activity and just add the mileage.   This is why we have all of this tech for our workouts.   

Like everyone stated, Other information is collected and would be lost if we delete the indoor bike/treadmill/rower because we need to add a manual entry.

I hate to say this after all of these years, I am starting the process of weaning myself off of Strava because they do not listen to what their customers want or need.

Kriscas
Mt. Kenya

But it would be good to add the distance to a recorded stationary row. It counts your time and strokes per minute but then I cannot add the distance. 

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @vixand26 

Thanks for writing in.  It is possible to record and upload indoor activities on Strava.  The types of indoor activities that can be recorded with the Strava Mobile App include CrossFit, elliptical, stair stepper, weight training, yoga, and workout. During the recording, you’ll be able to see the activity start time, elapsed time, and your heart rate if you’ve paired a heart rate monitor.  It's not possible to record distance with the Strava Mobile App for indoor activities.  

It is possible to record indoor distance and other metrics using a third party device or App, and then upload that data to Strava.  Please review this link for more information.  

Thanks for posting about this and please let us know if that's helpful.

Jane (she/her)

Hi Jane, it’s a shame you can’t include the stationary bike. Surely all that’s needed is an input distance field?

Hello @vixand26 

Thanks for your reply.  If you're not recording the data, you can enter the distance by creating a manual entry and you will be able to input the distance.

By creating a manual activity, you can add it to Strava even if you didn't record it with a GPS device. Enter the time and distance for an activity (like a ride, run, hike, walk, etc.). This is a great way to keep track of your training, even if you aren't able to record with a GPS device.

On the web, select the plus sign icon in the upper right-hand corner. Select Add manual entry from the drop-down list.

On Android, select the plus sign icon on the bottom right of your feed and choose Manual Activity.

On iOS, select the plus sign icon in the upper left-hand corner and then Manual Activity.

Full instructions for manual entry

Jane (she/her)