cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual walking feature

Steph6421
Mt. Kenya

I can't find the feature suggestion board anywhere. Sorry.

Suggested feature:

A lot of people now own walking pads to use when working from home.

When I use mine Strava thinks I have been for a run and I can't change it to walking.

"Virtual walking" as an activity option would fix this and mean that I don't earn running trophies by accident 🙂

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Steph6421 

Thanks for posting!  We use the term "virtual" on Strava to refer to a very specific set of activities - those that contain virtual GPS data.  In order to classify an activity under a virtual sport type, the activity must be originally recorded as a virtual activity using a supported virtual trainer or treadmill.  See more about virtual activities here.  

Great to hear you're using a walking pad while working from home.  It's a great way to stay active.  It sounds like those activities are uploaded as "runs" but you can change to to indoor walks.  Instructions for doing this on either web or the Strava Mobile App are below:

Web

• Log into your Strava account via www.strava.com and view the activity page that you wish to edit.
  • Click the Pencil icon on the left-hand side of the activity page.
  • Click on “Sport” to display the drop-down menu and select the correct activity type that should be listed.
  • Click “Save” when you are done.

Mobile

• If the activity is already saved to your account, open the activity you wish to edit. Tap the ellipses menu in the upper right-hand corner and select Edit Activity.
  • Click on the current sport type to display the scrolling menu. Search for and select the correct activity type. 
  • Save your changes once you're done.

For more information please see our article on changing activity types

Give that a try and let us know if you have more questions.  We're happy to help.

Also - check out this blog post about treadmill desks.  Hope you enjoy.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Steph6421 

Thanks for posting!  We use the term "virtual" on Strava to refer to a very specific set of activities - those that contain virtual GPS data.  In order to classify an activity under a virtual sport type, the activity must be originally recorded as a virtual activity using a supported virtual trainer or treadmill.  See more about virtual activities here.  

Great to hear you're using a walking pad while working from home.  It's a great way to stay active.  It sounds like those activities are uploaded as "runs" but you can change to to indoor walks.  Instructions for doing this on either web or the Strava Mobile App are below:

Web

• Log into your Strava account via www.strava.com and view the activity page that you wish to edit.
  • Click the Pencil icon on the left-hand side of the activity page.
  • Click on “Sport” to display the drop-down menu and select the correct activity type that should be listed.
  • Click “Save” when you are done.

Mobile

• If the activity is already saved to your account, open the activity you wish to edit. Tap the ellipses menu in the upper right-hand corner and select Edit Activity.
  • Click on the current sport type to display the scrolling menu. Search for and select the correct activity type. 
  • Save your changes once you're done.

For more information please see our article on changing activity types

Give that a try and let us know if you have more questions.  We're happy to help.

Also - check out this blog post about treadmill desks.  Hope you enjoy.  

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team