cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cycling Actual Speed

Hammerpgh
Mt. Kenya

Is there any reason why Strava doesn’t display the actual speed during my bike rides. It shows the average which updates every so often but I want to be able to see the ‘actual’ speed during my journeys.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Soren
Denali

With a Strava subscription, you'll see your live speed on the recording screen and as a free athlete, you will see your average speed. At this time, there is no way to customize which speed is displayed on the recording screen even if you have a subscription. If you pause your activity when you have a subscription, however, you'll be able to see your average speed.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

TonyVarious
Mt. Kenya

I believe this is unacceptable. It's like having users of alarm clock to pay for the clock feature. I understand that there should be some perks of paid subscription, but switching off actual speed in a ride tracking app - who does that? 

I thought it's me, who can't find the feature, but turns out the fundamental feature is behind a paywall. I'm moving to another app and I advise to others to do so.

Russell
Mt. Kenya

Ugh. Google brought me here. I thought the problem was settings on my new phone but it turns out the change to average speed was because my free trial of premium lapsed. I understand the freemium business model and the need for people to get paid. By all means make all kinds of cool special features and offer them at a price. I didn't find them that special so I didn't pay to keep Premium. The ability to display actual speed on a GPS-based app is not a special feature. There are heaps of free apps that do it. Any of which can be run with Strava going in the background, or just switch to another fitness app.

Hammerpgh
Mt. Kenya

Don’t see why it’s not both as standard. That’s just normal and shouldn’t be something you have to pay extra to get.

flower11234
Shkhara

Someone on Reddit gave me a possible answer to the Speed vs Avg. Speed display problem:

21 days of free "Subscription Preview remaining. Somewhere I read that with the subscription the current/live speed is displayed. Hopefully, it will go back to Avg. speed when our free Subscription Preview expires. I've been using the Adidas Running app, but it's not as good as Strava. It's interesting that if we were to subscribe to Strave, then we would actually receive worse service ie., current speed instead of average speed. What a business plan!!!!

Soren
Denali

With a Strava subscription, you'll see your live speed on the recording screen and as a free athlete, you will see your average speed. At this time, there is no way to customize which speed is displayed on the recording screen even if you have a subscription. If you pause your activity when you have a subscription, however, you'll be able to see your average speed.

Well, I do have a scription, but still do not see my live speed on my ipHone when running - How can I adjust this ? Thanks !

Hello, you shouldn't have to adjust anything in order for your live speed to display during an activity recording. Is your app up to date (a quick delete and reinstall will ensure you're on the most recent version)? If you still don't see your live speed after reinstalling the app, can you please submit a support ticket and send us a screenshot of what you're seeing while you're recording a run? 

You all should make sure this information is available on your support section of the website. It took me a long time and the help of Google to find this answer to my question! I'm sure others are searching for the same. 

his is totally unacceptable. The idea of paid features is understood, but live speed is too basic to charge money for. I ended my 1 year subscription a short while ago and was surprised to see you have included live speed as a paid feature. From my point of view, this is an unethical step and a non-legitimate pressure of a community app to prevent such basic info from non-subscribers. It is not even wise. If a person does not recognise the wealth of the paid features as a good enough reason to pay, do you think this "punishment" will make him or her pay? Most probably it will cause one to consider using another app. 

I am asking Strava management to reconsider this non-community change, and give us our live speed back!