cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Sense 2

Crazykeef
Mt. Kenya

Has anybody else had problems with Fitbit?

I’ve recently done 2 x 5km runs and the information from my Fitbit device has differed massively when it’s linked to my Strava account. 

I’ve just completed a 5km run in 27ish mins and when the data reached Strava it said I’d done 3.24km in 18ish mins. The pace was the same at 5’32”/km. 

I've already deactivated and reactivated my Fitbit to Strava and that hasn’t helped. 

has anyone got any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Crazykeef
Thanks for your post and sorry about the discrepancies between your activities as shown on another platform and Strava.

I'm not sure how that platform calculates distance while recording but the file that is uploaded to Strava does not have a distance stream or any predetermined distance data, it has GPS data that can be used to calculate distance. When we calculate the distance based on GPS data, we end up with the distance you see on Strava. There is no other way we can interpret that data. It's possible that the device itself is using a different process but it's not sharing that information with us. Unfortunately there won't be any way for us to process that data any differently or edit the distance on Strava.

For more information, see our article on How distance is calculated for your activity. I hope that helps. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey @Crazykeef
Thanks for your post and sorry about the discrepancies between your activities as shown on another platform and Strava.

I'm not sure how that platform calculates distance while recording but the file that is uploaded to Strava does not have a distance stream or any predetermined distance data, it has GPS data that can be used to calculate distance. When we calculate the distance based on GPS data, we end up with the distance you see on Strava. There is no other way we can interpret that data. It's possible that the device itself is using a different process but it's not sharing that information with us. Unfortunately there won't be any way for us to process that data any differently or edit the distance on Strava.

For more information, see our article on How distance is calculated for your activity. I hope that helps. 

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

I have recently experienced the same problem with run data imported from Fitbit. I have a route I often run that is 2.5 miles. Fitbit consistently records it at 2.5 miles. Strava will normally record it at 2.5, but most recently recorded it at just 1.9 miles. A similar issue happened earlier this month. The map on Strava correctly show that I run the full route, so the problem is not with the GPS data. Strava obvioulsy has all the correct GPS data in order to generate a correct map. That means the problem is clearly in how Strava calculates distance based on that GPS data and this needs to be addressed by Strava.