cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import from Apple breaks altitude information

BobSideshow
Shkhara

Hi there,

when tracking my rides with Apple Watch, the data recorded is a plausible and consistent match with other resources, e.g. komoot pre ride track planning.

Importing the recorded track however, has a strange impact especially on altitude information. A track with 300 meters of altitude difference (Apple, komoot, paper map) e.g. easily gets imported as 600+ meters in Strava. This gives a wrong information for the training status and kind of nags on my credibility with those who joined me for the ride 😉

Why doesn‘t Strava simply take the well recorded data from Apple, but applies some additional magic during import, that actually goes so significantly wrong?

thanks a lot!

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

On the website, open an activity. On the left side is a three dot button. Click that and there should be a correct elevation option.

In the app there should be the same option under the three dot icon in the dot right when looking at an activity.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

awareagle
Shkhara

My 9.0 mile run this morning with Apple Watch Ultra recorded 477 ft of gain. Strava is showing 3,395 ft of gain. There is an option to correct/adjust elevation on the website and app that calculates a much more realistic elevation gain. Strava seems to be incorrectly reading the elevation data from apple watch workouts.

Thanks a lot for your kind response awareagle!

I went through the app as well as the web site, but unfortunately I could not find the option you mentioned, neither in the settings, nor in the individual trainings.

would you mind sharing in more detail, where to find this option?

Thanks again!

Thomas

On the website, open an activity. On the left side is a three dot button. Click that and there should be a correct elevation option.

In the app there should be the same option under the three dot icon in the dot right when looking at an activity.

Great!

The calculated altitude is a far more realistic result now.

Thanks again for your kind and fast support!

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings