cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New route builder is broken

danf879
Mont Blanc

It seems Strava has switched the route builder to a new version.  I believe they have been testing this for awhile, as I've seen it here and there, but it seems over the last few days they've moved over to using it when you click the Create New Route button on the My Routes page.

There's some major problems when it comes to creating and editing waypoints, specifically around how it handles when you have an existing route but want to add a waypoint in the middle.  In the old system you could move your mouse along the line, and then click and drag the line to move it.  It'd intelligently add a waypoint in between existing ones.  But in the new system this rarely works properly.  I've seen some real strange things just playing with it, including invisible points in the middle of nowhere -- if you move the mouse along the elevation chart at the bottom, it'll float between these without actually following the line.   It's incredibly frustrating.  I hope the old route builder comes back, or a way to switch between the old and new system while they work out the bugs...

danf879_0-1727496136309.png

6 REPLIES 6

danf879
Mont Blanc

Re: adding a new waypoint by clicking on the line and dragging -- it seems it works better now if you click on the line (not drag) and then select "insert waypoint" from this pop up menu.   THEN drag that new one that appears.

danf879_0-1727558356014.png

danf879
Mont Blanc

glad you mentioned Veloviewer... the Wandrer.earth extension is broken as well 😒

Jan_Mantau
Superuser
Superuser

I see the same broken behaviour, dragging outside of existing waypoints creates artifacts or doesn't do anything, dragging existing waypoints copies them instead of moving them and the undo button will not be enabled after such an action.

kraton77
Mt. Kenya

I noticed the "new" route planner yesterday as well ... before it was only in the "Heatmap View" available, but now it seems they are using the same for planning a route. Which absolutley su##s! Beside of your described bugs it seems the Veloviewer plugin also does not work anymore - and therefore this route planner is getting for me more and more unusable. And as of now the route planner was the only feature for me to keep my payed membership. If they don't fix that I assume I finally will get a basic member looking for another route planner!

Came here to chime in on the route builder that keeps going downhill. For me too, this is the one feature I still have premium for, but every update it's just getting worse and I've already found myself returning to other tools. I'm a heavy user of (personal) heatmaps, and while the number of useless clicks seem to have increased, several functionalities are lost on the website...

-The ability to see personal "ALL RUN" or "all sports" heatmaps while editing (trail run and regular run on seperate heatmaps why?).

-The options to remove "points of interest" seems to be gone. I now have to constantly pay attention that I avoid clicking on other people's pictures in the map.

@Dim The option to remove pictures and POIs is hidden behind this nondescript button I marked yellow:

Jan_Mantau_0-1727555923334.png

This would be better as direct visible text in the sidebar, but as others remarked, the UX of the route builder is not very well thought out.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings