cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

The Hub is now in read-only mode as we make improvements to the Hub experience. More information is available here.

Route Building using Heatmap

funrider
Mt. Kenya

Hi all

I have a issue when I'm creating a trail running route. I have built various routes in the past, so not an entire newbie. I have been struggling lately with trail running routes. I use the global heat maps, I know the area, I know its been used often, but as soon as I start building, the "builder" simply refuses to use the heat map route, and uses other routes instead, taking me on an entire different route. Besides going manual, is there another way of "forcing" the builder to use the heat map?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @funrider 

Thanks for the additional information.  It sound like the path you are trying to route along may not be routable in OSM (OpenStreetMap).

The static maps in the Strava feed and on the activity details page are provided by Mapbox, with the data for roads, places, parks, points of interest, and trails sourced from OpenStreetMapYou can learn more about the Maps used on Strava, and how to make contributions, within our support article here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917717-About-Strava-Maps

If you believe there is data that could benefit from an update, we encourage you to visit OpenStreetMap to share your insights.

If you're trying manual mode and seeing straight lines, you may need to add multiple waypoints that are closer together to trace the path you are hoping to use.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VikK
Superuser
Superuser

Could it be the trail is not through a recognised path on the map provider? I've had this on one route where there is a shortcut between 2 roads through an alleyway and route builder was going the long way around to get to the other side. My workaround at the time was to manually create that bit but that would be annoying on a long trail.

Vik

funrider
Mt. Kenya

Hi Jane, it happens on the web, as well as iOS app. Its very frustrating, like I said, its my personal heatmap as well as global, yet it does not want to follow the route. You can see the route has been used many times, it even has a strava segment, but refuses to use it. Manual drawing is not an option, as its only straight lines

Hello @funrider 

Thanks for the additional information.  It sound like the path you are trying to route along may not be routable in OSM (OpenStreetMap).

The static maps in the Strava feed and on the activity details page are provided by Mapbox, with the data for roads, places, parks, points of interest, and trails sourced from OpenStreetMapYou can learn more about the Maps used on Strava, and how to make contributions, within our support article here: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917717-About-Strava-Maps

If you believe there is data that could benefit from an update, we encourage you to visit OpenStreetMap to share your insights.

If you're trying manual mode and seeing straight lines, you may need to add multiple waypoints that are closer together to trace the path you are hoping to use.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @funrider 

Thanks for writing in.  It's possible this may be related to a technical issue on our end.  Can you let me know if you are having this problem on the web, the Android App, or the IOS App?  Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Jane (she/her)