cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava route planning improvements

tomedgell
Mt. Kenya

I make fairly intensive use of the Strava map function to plan cycling routes, and while many aspects are great (crowdsourcing popular routes especially) I have a growing list of things I think could make route planning better. I’d be interested in hearing other people’s views…and am hoping Strava can do something with the thoughts below.

Including major road names/numbers as standard on the Strava map would be a good addition, especially when route planning in an unfamiliar area. It helps to know you’re not inadvertently planning a route down the local bypass.

it would also be really helpful if the Strava map you use for route planning showed your favourited segments on it. Case in point, from time to time I try to get real about tackling some proper (uk) hills. The top 100 climbs app lets you access all of these as segments in Strava, but trying to plan a route involving one or more of these still involves you first memorising where they appear on the map and then plotting your route through them. There must be an easier way…

Finally as a 95% road cyclist I spend most of time on road routes. Discovering that I’ve just inadvertently planned a full-on gravel route on my precious road bike isn’t the best (although maybe the solution is just to have a gravel bike). In the  meantime, it would be good if the  paved roads only function could be extended to your own route planning, not just Strava’s automated route planning.

That’s my wish list right now. What do other people think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @tomedgell 

Thanks for posting about this.  I wanted to draw your attention to some related and overlapping discussions and idea requests that you may want to check out:

Show favorite segments when planning route

Organizing and managing Routes

Add Coordinates in Create Route Mode

Allow Users to Rate Routes

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @tomedgell 

Thanks for posting about this.  I wanted to draw your attention to some related and overlapping discussions and idea requests that you may want to check out:

Show favorite segments when planning route

Organizing and managing Routes

Add Coordinates in Create Route Mode

Allow Users to Rate Routes

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Adding to the list of ‘great to haves’, It would be great to be able to build regroup/waypoints into the routes for cycling. Also, to have Sprint points designed on the route with notifications that pop up on Garmin. Hoping this functionality actually exists and someone can point the way….