cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested friends

ulfhjensen
Shkhara

Why are my suggested friends always the same?

i have no intention of ever connecting with any of them but apparently I cannot disable the feature of suggested friends.

As I cannot turn off the feature it is really getting to me that Strava always pushes the same 2 friend suggestions. How do I - politely - say "no, thanks" to the suggestions?

I have not let Strava pick up my phonebook or any other contacs lists.

/Ulf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @ulfhjensen 

Thanks for posting about this.

There are a few reasons a suggestion could appear in your feed: a mutual friend on Strava, from your phone's address book, from the address book of another athlete, or through Facebook.

If you've given Strava permission to access this data, either to your phone's address book or signing in/connecting Strava to Facebook, then you will see suggestions from those sources.

If you did not give us access to your contacts, the person who was suggested to you did. In other words, if your email address happened to be in their contacts, we will suggest them to you as someone you may know.

You can stop syncing any new contacts from your phone by removing permissions to your phone's contact book and/ or Facebook. You can also remove any contacts we've stored by going to the app's Settings> Contacts > toggle off Access to contacts.

For more information please read our article on how we use contacts and connections.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @ulfhjensen 

Thanks for posting about this.

There are a few reasons a suggestion could appear in your feed: a mutual friend on Strava, from your phone's address book, from the address book of another athlete, or through Facebook.

If you've given Strava permission to access this data, either to your phone's address book or signing in/connecting Strava to Facebook, then you will see suggestions from those sources.

If you did not give us access to your contacts, the person who was suggested to you did. In other words, if your email address happened to be in their contacts, we will suggest them to you as someone you may know.

You can stop syncing any new contacts from your phone by removing permissions to your phone's contact book and/ or Facebook. You can also remove any contacts we've stored by going to the app's Settings> Contacts > toggle off Access to contacts.

For more information please read our article on how we use contacts and connections.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi Jane, thanks for getting back.

As I clearly stated, Strava has no access to any of my contacts and the 2 suggested friends are people I don't know, have never met nor intend to connect with.

If - as a minimum - Strava could suggest some other connectionsthe function might be interesting but as it works now, this is a function I really hate and have no use for.

/Ulf

It used to be possible to swipe left to Hide friend suggestions from Search in the iOS app. Except it was bugged, and that only removed the suggestions until you reopened the Search pane. Then those “hidden” suggestions would reappear.

Instead of fixing this, Strava recently removed the ability to Hide suggestions altogether.

This gives you a pretty good idea of Strava’s stance on disabling unwanted friend suggestions.

Thanks, zecanard,

Yes, I am aware I might be fighting windmills here but I am so, so tired of being suggested the same 2 persons for + 5 years... 🙂

Setup is Strava on Android, though