cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Upcoming Forum Upgrade – New Experience Launching Soon!

Here’s what you need to know about the changes, including upcoming read-only time: Find out more

The removal of URLs/links – questions I expect Strava to answer

tlem
Mt. Kenya

I'm sorry but the "solution" that was posted in the other thread about this issue is not a solution. A solution would be something that brings our activities, posts, comments, etc to the exact same state they were before you removed the URLs.

You didn't even answer the big open questions we have regarding what happened. I would like Strava to urgently answer the following questions:

(1) Are you filtering URLs merely in the user interface and in the API – or have you actually modified the content stored in your database?

(2) If it is the latter case, how are we going to recover our data? What kind of backups do you have? Are you going to restore all the URLs and other removed content from the backups once this "ongoing situation" is over? Can we at least download an intact version of our data for our own use?

(3) Why there was zero communication about what is going to happen beforehand? It's clear now that you removed the URLs on purpose. The removal wouldn't have been okay even if you gave us an advance warning, but at least it would have made the situation a little bit more bearable.

I could maybe understand if you temporarily disabled adding NEW links to NEW activities, but instead, you retroactively removed all the links from old activities. This has nothing to do with safety and is totally unacceptable.

1 REPLY 1

Andycooke99
Mont Blanc

Looks like a heavy handed quick fix , all my just giving links were removed from charity rides. Apparently it's only temporary,  but will they put them back later or are they permanently deleted? It's annoying as my post was viewed by a few hundred people , but had no link for donations and the moments gone. Pissed off.