cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinni FIT file upload issue (elevation)

SebNelson
Shkhara

Hello Team,

We have incorporated the Strava FIT file upload via the Strava API (https://developers.strava.com/docs/uploads/) into our app Kinni (http://kinni.co/) for a number of years. The uploads captured the elevation gain correctly until around mid-July 2023 after which it seems to be missing. We have checked the FIT files being uploaded via the API and nothing has changed as it contains the elevation gain as per the Garmin specifications. If manually uploaded via the Strava web interface elevation gain is still missing. I have attached two examples of FIT files. Both contain elevation gain. The FIT file from Kinni uploads to Strava without the elevation again being captured. The FIT file from Garmin uploads to Strava with the elevation gain captured.

We have raised this issue with Strava Support before and have not seen any process from the Strava Support Team since August 03, 2023.

We would really appreciate assistance in addressing this issue as we are unable to troubleshoot the issue further as the change seems to have been on Strava's side.

Kinni-Fit-File-Export

Kinni-Readable-Export

Garmin-Fit-File-Export 

Garmin-Readable-Fit-File

4 REPLIES 4

SebNelson
Shkhara

Strava elevation issue.jpg

SebNelson
Shkhara

Sorry for late replies to your helpful insights, I have added a link below to a summary of our issue. In words, we export a Fit file from Kinni, if it is uploaded to Strava is doesn't show elevation, however when we upload it to Garmin connect elevation is shown.  Link 

LongDistance
Shkhara

> The FIT file from Kinni uploads to Strava without the elevation again being captured. The FIT file from Garmin uploads to Strava with the elevation gain captured.

Surely that implies there’s a problem with your fit file format if the Garmin one is fine?

ActivityFix
Kilimanjaro

Are those the correct FIT file links? If I diff the two .fit files they are identical. I did a quick test and uploaded both to Strava and neither showed any elevation.