cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch didn't record Swim distance or save time

STL
Mt. Kenya

Did an indoor pool swim yesterday. Chose the Indoor Swim mode in the Strava app on my Apple Watch and swam ½ a mile. The watch showed the time passing, but never any distance. When the activity was uploaded to Strava, it only uploaded heart rate, no distance, no time. What did I do wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @STL and @danielfc 

Sorry to hear of the issue recording distance.  I'm going to ask both of you to please submit a support ticket and we’ll be happy to investigate further.  Thank you.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

I submitted a support ticket and the reply was basically “tough luck, Strava doesn’t do this.” The Apple Watch workout app DOES track indoor swims, so you can use that, but the Strava app doesn’t track indoor swims.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @STL and @danielfc 

Sorry to hear of the issue recording distance.  I'm going to ask both of you to please submit a support ticket and we’ll be happy to investigate further.  Thank you.

Jane (she/her)

Hello, do I understand it correctly that for apple watch strava is useless when using while swimming?

When do you want to upgrade strava, so it can do the same as already built in app by apple?

Submitting a support ticket does not help in this case, https://support.strava.com/hc/requests/2723606 Hank told me to search forums for a solution and to give feedback about GPS data not being saved when recording a swim with the Strava app on an Apple watch.

Same thing happened to me today on an outdoor swim. My First swim with my Apple Watch 8, so somewhat disappointed. I have the Strava app on the watch and selected swim (only one swim option). Time and heart rate recorded but not distance. 

Hi Jane,

From STL's comment to Mt. Kenya, Strava doesn't support "Indoor Swimming". I am using Apple Watch to record Indoor Swimming now. However, it shows "Moving Time" not "Elapsed Time" unless you click on Analysis. I'd like to show Elapsed Time but Starva only offers the "Commute" option in Type of Activity. Please add the "Race" option. Thank you.

Is there any news on this one?

CKW
Mt. Kenya

Hi STL - I don't have an answer, I'm actually wondering if you can help me. I don't see swim as an activity choice on my apple watch. I do see it on the app on my phone, though. Did you have to change a preference in Strava...or otherwise know how I might get it to show up?

Hi @CKW ,

Thanks for posting about this.  Are you looking in the Strava App on Apple Watch?  Swimming is on of the supported activity types, but you might need to scroll quite a way down to see it.  

Jane (she/her)

danielfc
Mt. Kenya

Same thing happened to me today.