cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

Distance not displaying

cgpwhite83
Mt. Kenya

Just done a 5km and my Apple Watch was counting backwards from my last run and then when saved didn’t display the full run distance. 

IMG_3253.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

This post has been escalated to our Support team. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ams
Mt. Kenya

The provided solution is not a solution, and the "correct distance" option on the website is not actually there. At least, it's not there anymore. Whether it was there 6 months ago when it was posted is not for me to say.

Regardless, I have an actual solution. It's not fun or straightforward, but it does work.

1. Go to the Strava website, and pull up that activity.

2. Download the activity as GPS coordinates. I did it with a gpx file.

3. Delete the activity from Strava.

4. Create a manual activity entry, select file as the type of entry criteria, and use the gpx file that you just downloaded to provide the information. You'll need to manually enter what type of activity it was (run, ride, etc.), but the distance and time will recalculate from the GPS data in the gpx file.

I'm deliberately skipping some of the detail about how for each step. Menu structures change, and so that's better done by someone that actually works for Strava. Failing to delete the activity will make it appear as a duplicate, and will reject the upload. If the how is mysterious and you want step-by-step, then it may be better to enlist some in-person help.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

This post has been escalated to our Support team. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello again @cgpwhite83 

Thanks for getting back to us and sorry my reply didn't help resolve the issue.  I'm going to escalate this post to our Support team so someone can take a look at the activity and work with you directly to troubleshoot the issue.  Thanks for your patience and someone will be in touch soon.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @cgpwhite83 

Thanks for posting about this. The reason this is happening is due to Watch not getting a proper GPS signal when the activity started.

For your recent recording, please see if switching the distance stream on the website resolves the issue. This will use the map distance instead of the device distance. If you do not see a map with activity, unfortunately this means there was no GPS recorded for the entire activity.

To swap your distance stream:

• Go to your activity page on the website (this feature is currently not accessible in our mobile apps)
  • From the activity page click on (◦◦◦) the more options menu > Correct Distance.
  • From the pop-up, click "Correct Distance".
  • When the status changes from "Calculating" to "Updated," refresh the page.

If you would like to revert the change, you can click the same link and click "Revert Distance".

If this happens again, and you notice it when you start the activity, you can stop, discard the activity and start a new one.

We would recommend waiting until your outdoors to open the Strava Watch app and waiting about a minute until you start an activity. This will allow the Watch to collect a stronger GPS signal which will prevent these discrepancies from occurring. Otherwise, can you try uninstalling/reinstalling the Strava app on both your iPhone and Apple Watch?

1. Use the Watch app located on your iPhone to force an uninstall of the Strava Watch app. Note that it may take some time for the app to be fully uninstalled from the Watch face.
  2. Confirm the app has been uninstalled from the Watch.
  3. Uninstall the Strava app from your iPhone.
  4. Force close all apps on the iPhone.
  5. Restart the Watch and iPhone.
  6. Download and install the Strava app on the iPhone.
  7. Confirm you are logged into the Strava app.
  8. Confirm the Strava app has been installed on the Apple Watch.
  9. Unlock the display on the iPhone and load the Strava Apple Watch app.
  10. Watch for and approve prompts on both devices.

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue.

Also - you may want to review our Apple Watch article which contains helpful information on using your Apple Watch with Strava.  

Jane (she/her)

Hi. I am having the same issue, but won my Activity page there is no "correct distance" option?

Hmmm I don’t really accept this as a solution and it’s pretty much just a copy paste job. The three dots update doesn’t event exist on the website any how. So maybe another real look into the issue should be actioned with out hitting control+c and control+v