cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped Heart Rate

mettmann
Mt. Kenya

Why does Strava regularly drop HR below 8°C after 45-50 minutes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ActivityFix
Kilimanjaro

If I'm understanding your question, you're saying that when recording with the Strava App, if the outside temperature is below 8°C it suddenly stops recording your heart rate after 45-50 minutes?

I don't have a good answer here, but a few thoughts...

1. If you're using a chest strap, sweat helps with conductivity. If it's colder out and you aren't sweating as much it may be that your heart rate monitor isn't getting a good reading. You could try conductive gel or something.

2. My old phone used to start behaving strangely if it got too cold. Maybe try keeping the phone somewhere warmer like in a pocket?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jan_Mantau
Denali

@ActivityFix Now I get it, I asked myself the whole time why they measure their HR in °C instead of bpm 🙂

The mentioned battery issue of the phone would be the most likely explanation, maybe combined with battery saving features of the phone. It's for sure not Stravas fault.

ActivityFix
Kilimanjaro

If I'm understanding your question, you're saying that when recording with the Strava App, if the outside temperature is below 8°C it suddenly stops recording your heart rate after 45-50 minutes?

I don't have a good answer here, but a few thoughts...

1. If you're using a chest strap, sweat helps with conductivity. If it's colder out and you aren't sweating as much it may be that your heart rate monitor isn't getting a good reading. You could try conductive gel or something.

2. My old phone used to start behaving strangely if it got too cold. Maybe try keeping the phone somewhere warmer like in a pocket?

Jan_Mantau
Denali

Is there maybe a typo or some other mix up in your post? I failed to guess what it could mean.