cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ioS Strava app receiving location information, but reporting 0 distance and 0 speed.

rkimmel
Mt. Kenya

I have two phones.  Strava works just fine on one of them.  It used to work on the other as well, but sometime last year, I noticed this bizarre behaviour, which continues until now.

If I press the big orange round button, the screen with time, distance, and speed in giant numbers shows up.  As long as auto-pause is turned off, the time ticks away, while the distance and speed remain at zero.  If I go to the screen with the map, it shows my location reasonably accurately, and shows the little blue dot moving as I move.  Upon finishing the activity, a map of the route, quite accurate, appears, along with plausible values of distance travelled and average speed.  However, during the activity itself, the distance travelled is zero and the average speed is zero.

If auto-pause is turned on, the clock ticks for a few seconds, then auto-pause activates, whether I'm moving or not.

If I leave the Strava app on my other phone, a blue strip appears across the top of the screen, indicating that Stava is using my location.  This has stopped appearing on the problem phone.

I tried removing the app and reinstalling, it didn't help at all.

Hardware is iPhone 6s Plus, most recent version of iOS.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @rkimmel 

Thank for posting about this and sorry to hear about the issues.  Can you confirm the phone is running IOS 14?  That is the oldest compatible operating system for the App.  See supported IOS versions and iPhones here

Also - have you tried resetting the GPS on the phone?  If not, I would definitely do that:

GPS reset instructions:

1. Close all open apps on your phone.
2. Then go into settings and turn on airplane mode.
3. Next, go to settings > general > reset and choose reset network settings (you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords!)
4. Once your phone has reset, go to settings > location services. Turn this setting off and then on again.
5. Finally, go to settings > privacy > location services > system services and turn setting time zone OFF.

Let us know if that helps.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

vn
Mt. Kenya

Hi, I guess I faced the same issues, I guess it was introduced in the recent update v347.0.2 (r41616) 22 Feb, because before that since 10 February when I returned to my previous device (iPhone 6s+, iOS 15.8.1) activities did not have GPS issues. Sometimes the app collects GPS track sometimes it fails and do nothing.

Together with that, the MapMyWalk application running at the same time don't have GPS issues. Did not reset GPS, will try that tomorrow.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @rkimmel 

Thank for posting about this and sorry to hear about the issues.  Can you confirm the phone is running IOS 14?  That is the oldest compatible operating system for the App.  See supported IOS versions and iPhones here

Also - have you tried resetting the GPS on the phone?  If not, I would definitely do that:

GPS reset instructions:

1. Close all open apps on your phone.
2. Then go into settings and turn on airplane mode.
3. Next, go to settings > general > reset and choose reset network settings (you will need to re-enter your wifi passwords!)
4. Once your phone has reset, go to settings > location services. Turn this setting off and then on again.
5. Finally, go to settings > privacy > location services > system services and turn setting time zone OFF.

Let us know if that helps.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

I have the same issue as OP. I have an iPhone 13 running iOS17.4.1. I followed the instructions for 1 through 5 and reset the GPS but upon re-opening the app it still refuses to track the run properly. To be clear, it does not appear to be a GPS issue, as my GPS works properly for all other apps. It is only recently that this started happening just on this app. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings