cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

[KNOWN ISSUE] GPS lock with Wear OS3

ScottM
Shkhara

I reecently had to reset my Fossil Watch Gen 5 and then discovered that Stava is no longer available in the App store for Wear OS 2.

Forced into buying a new watch.. Fossil Gen 6, with Wear OS 3 I am having trouble with Strava unable to get a GPS lock. Can anyone offer advice.

Previosuly, if I had Strava open on my phone and it had a GPS lock then the app on my watch would as well. Now the app on my phone has a GPS lock but Strava on my watch just keeps saying it is trying to get a GPS fix. If I start an activity on my phone and watch at the same time, it takes about 5 minutes for the watch to get a lock.

I assume it is only getting GPS location from the watch and not from the phone.

In 'Location' on the watch, 'Use Location' is on and says 'get location from phone and watch'.

Strava and the Fossil app have location permissions enabled on both the phone and the watch.

Phone is a Huawei P20 Pro, only change since moveing from Gen 5 to Gen 6 watch is installing the Fossil app to manage the watch instead of the Wear OS app. Both have location permissions enabled.

Is there something that I may be missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

This post has been escalated to our Support team. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mrecount00
Mt. Kenya

I noticed that if I wait for GPS to lock, it will happily keep spinning forever. However, if I press Start without waiting for a GPS lock, it'll start tracking my location within a minute.

Didn't work for me. After 10mins, i just press "start" when i finish and sync to the app, it only shows it as an activity with no routes. So pace and distance is probably off as well. 

LLY
Mt. Kenya

I'm also facing this issue recently. Nothing changed for my watch and now on the wellness and Fit app, location lock is not an issue, but i cannot get Strava GPS to lock. 

Please look into this. 

Thanks. 
LY

There has been no activity on the ticket I created for some time now. I am not holding my breath for a fix. If the issue is with Wear OS on the Fossil watch then there is no chance, especially since Fossil have anounced that they are withdrawing from the Smart Watch market!

ScottM
Shkhara

Thank you, I submitted a ticket myself this morning after no responses!

Hi any update on this? I have the exact problem.

I still have a ticket open with support relating to this. In the mean time I manually reinstalled the Wear OS2 app on my old watch and use that for recording activities.

Hi @mrecount00 

Sorry, this issue is ongoing. We're working on solving it as quickly as possible, and I'll post an update here when we know more.  Apologies for the inconvenience.  

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

This post has been escalated to our Support team. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Jane (she/her)