cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rock Climbing with Apple Watch vs iPhone

MrKrabwell
Mt. Kenya

I like recording my indoor rock climbing sessions with Strava and Apple Watch, as it doesn't record location, and I just get the heart rate.  Sometimes, I forget my Apple Watch and record with my iPhone, at which Strava records location.  Why is there a difference in behavior depending on the device you use?  Even if it's not recording heart rate, I do not like how there is a difference in the how the activity is recorded.  Is there any way to change the behavior of the iPhone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @MrKrabwell 

Thanks for posting about this.  

The Workout App on the apple watch will automatically record 'Rock Climbing' activities as indoor because they are assuming you are climbing in a gym. The Strava App on Apple Watch will record 'Rock Climbing' activities with GPS, similarly to how the Mobile App records Rock Climbing activities.  

To use the Strava App for Apple watch, please follow the instructions below:
  • Download the Strava app on your iPhone if you haven't already.
  • Open the "My Watch” section of the Apple Watch app on your phone.
  • Find the Strava app to install on your watch. If it's already installed on your Watch, then open the app on your Watch. If it's not installed, tap on Install next to Strava in the Watch App.
  • Open the Strava app on your Watch. You will be prompted (on your phone) to authorize Strava for Apple Watch.
  • The Strava Apple Watch app supports watchOS 6.0 or later and iOS 13.0 or later.

For more information and updates on the Strava Apple Watch App, please visit our help article here: https://support.strava.com/ - Apple Watch Strava App

We have more information and an Apple Watch FAQ here.

Please let us know if this is helpful.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @MrKrabwell 

Thanks for posting about this.  

The Workout App on the apple watch will automatically record 'Rock Climbing' activities as indoor because they are assuming you are climbing in a gym. The Strava App on Apple Watch will record 'Rock Climbing' activities with GPS, similarly to how the Mobile App records Rock Climbing activities.  

To use the Strava App for Apple watch, please follow the instructions below:
  • Download the Strava app on your iPhone if you haven't already.
  • Open the "My Watch” section of the Apple Watch app on your phone.
  • Find the Strava app to install on your watch. If it's already installed on your Watch, then open the app on your Watch. If it's not installed, tap on Install next to Strava in the Watch App.
  • Open the Strava app on your Watch. You will be prompted (on your phone) to authorize Strava for Apple Watch.
  • The Strava Apple Watch app supports watchOS 6.0 or later and iOS 13.0 or later.

For more information and updates on the Strava Apple Watch App, please visit our help article here: https://support.strava.com/ - Apple Watch Strava App

We have more information and an Apple Watch FAQ here.

Please let us know if this is helpful.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team