cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run distance reduces when synching from Pixel watch to phone app

Debs1
Mt. Kenya

I have the Strava app on my pixel watch and every time I finish a run the distance value that shows in the Strava app on my phone is different (normally around 0.5km less) than what was displayed on my watch when I finished the activity. 

I've seen a few posts on how to edit this on the web app after each run but how can I stop it changing my distance in the first place? Both the watch and phone apps are Strava, I don't understand why the data would change. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @Debs1 

Thanks for your post about this. The Strava WearOS App records two distance streams - one is based on your GPS data and the other one is recorded independently of GPS.  There will normally be a relatively small difference between these two methods, however the 0.5 km you mention is quite a bit. Also keep in mind that we do some some smoothing of the data and discarding of outlier data - the distance on your watch at the end of the run can have a small discrepancy of what you see on Strava after upload - again, I agree that 0.5 km is more than we would expect.

Have you tried switching your distance stream to see if the other stream gives better results?  To do this, navigate to the activity page, click on the three-dot action menu in the left sidebar and select the option Correct Distance.

More information on how distance is calculated can be found here

It also wouldn't hurt to to a reinstall of the Watch App by following these instructions:

Delete the Strava application from your watch. Power your device off for 10 seconds, turn your watch back on and reinstall the Strava application. Unfortunately, this means any unsynced activities will be discarded.

Google Play Store:

Strava: Track Running, Cycling & Swimming

How to update your apps on Android: Support - Google

I hope that helps.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @Debs1 

Thanks for your post about this. The Strava WearOS App records two distance streams - one is based on your GPS data and the other one is recorded independently of GPS.  There will normally be a relatively small difference between these two methods, however the 0.5 km you mention is quite a bit. Also keep in mind that we do some some smoothing of the data and discarding of outlier data - the distance on your watch at the end of the run can have a small discrepancy of what you see on Strava after upload - again, I agree that 0.5 km is more than we would expect.

Have you tried switching your distance stream to see if the other stream gives better results?  To do this, navigate to the activity page, click on the three-dot action menu in the left sidebar and select the option Correct Distance.

More information on how distance is calculated can be found here

It also wouldn't hurt to to a reinstall of the Watch App by following these instructions:

Delete the Strava application from your watch. Power your device off for 10 seconds, turn your watch back on and reinstall the Strava application. Unfortunately, this means any unsynced activities will be discarded.

Google Play Store:

Strava: Track Running, Cycling & Swimming

How to update your apps on Android: Support - Google

I hope that helps.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thank you, reinstalling the app on my watch seems to have helped!

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings