cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava Live Segments not Showing On Garmin Edge530

Xaviervdv
Mt. Kenya

Strava Live Segments are not showing up on my Garmin Edge 530. When I look at the course map, I see the segments highlighted in green. But I never get the segment notification.. However all segments were starred and are synced with my Garmin (they are in the segments list). 

How can I fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Xaviervdv 

Thanks for posting about this and so sorry to hear the live segments aren't showing up.

Are you following a course/route when having this issue?  We are aware that when following a course on Garmin, Strava Live Segments will not be shown. We are working directly with Garmin on a solution moving forward and appreciate your patience.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Clemenscito
Mt. Kenya

Hi there, is it possible this bug still exists? 
I recently switched from 1030plus to the 1040 and despite segments being turned on, starred they will not show up live whenever following a route. In fact I always follow a route, so I didn't even know if it works when not doing so. At times my edge says, i need to connect Garmin connect to Strava to use the segment explore, which is also the case. It's pretty frustrating unfortunately and reading the other comments I'm not the only one clearly. Live segments was for me the primary reason for paying for Strava!! 

@Clemenscito  Strava live segments on the Edge 1040 only work with no route loaded. If you have the Strava segments on your edge in the first place you see on the home screen when you tap on "Training", then "Strava Live Segments".

Rdhb
Shkhara

@Jane Still no solution to this. There is obviously a problem with Garmin's API working with Strava, because I don't believe this issue occurs with Wahoo. I think it is because, when following a course imported from Strava, Garmin is only able to use live segments that appear on the Route details page on Strava. But the problem is that this list of segments appears to be totally arbitrary. I had a Strava support person (Jimi) tell me these are the 'most popular' segments on a route, but I cannot figure out how this popularity is determined and they have stopped replying. I don't think it is based on the number of times they've been ridden, and it isn't based on how many times people have starred them, because segments that have only been starred a few times show up on the list whereas those with lots of stars sometimes don't show up. It also doesn't appear to be related to whether the segments are 'hidden' or not, whether they are downhill segments or not, or whether they overlap with other segments. Sometimes it will only display ~10% of the segments on a route, and it will include downhill segments that cannot be used as live segments, and include a bunch of redundant, overlapping segments. In other words, this list of segments is very limited in use for people who want to select segments to use as live segments. In fact, it's not very helpful for anything, because it misses a lot of the main segments on a route. Sometimes there will be gaps of over 50km that pass over dozens of segments that are not included in the list. Please Strava, do something to fix this. Paying subscribers to your service are often unable to simply follow a route and use live segments at the same time using a Garmin device. This problem has existed for years with no solution, despite many people drawing attention to it (this is not the only thread about this - a quick internet search will reveal many people complaining about this, going back many years). And I will re-iterate, that unstarring, re-starring, and resyncing (the route or the segments) does not fix the problem if the segment is not in the list of segments on the Route details page.

Rdhb
Shkhara

@Jane  This still doesn't appear to be working. From what I can tell, the only segments that will load on a Garmin when following a route imported from Strava are the ones that show up under the elevation graph when viewing the Route page in Strava. But this is a very limited and seemingly random collection of segments covered by the Route. For some of my routes only a small fraction of the segments along the route are shown, meaning I can't load many of the segments I would like to include. This is even the case if those segments are actually loaded on the Garmin and work fine when free-riding and not following a route. This is really frustrating and effectively makes it impossible to follow a route and use live segments at the same time on a Garmin. Route following and live segments are two of the core features for paying members of Strava. This really should be fixed asap.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello!

Thanks for everyone who has posted on this thread and I can confirm this is still an open issue.  However there is a workaround you try:

First, please confirm that the segments list is appearing below the elevation graph when you view the Route page in Strava. Please try un-starring and re-starring the Route and then re-sync it to your device.

We are working directly with Garmin on a solution moving forward and appreciate your patience.  I'll provide updates here when I have them.  

Jane (she/her)

Thank you, Jane. Do you mean un-star and re-star the segment or the route? Does anything need to be done on the garmin device?

Hello @zs 

You'll want to un-star and re-star the route in question, then re-sync Strava to your Garmin device.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Xaviervdv 

Thanks for posting about this and so sorry to hear the live segments aren't showing up.

Are you following a course/route when having this issue?  We are aware that when following a course on Garmin, Strava Live Segments will not be shown. We are working directly with Garmin on a solution moving forward and appreciate your patience.

Jane (she/her)

hello - is there an eta for this to work? It’s a key feature I like about Strava and why I am a premium subscriber. Thanks!

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings