cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava will not sync with Google Fit or Samsung Health

totaljoe
Mt. Kenya

I have both Samsung Health and Google Fit connected to Strava, but the app will not sync to either of them. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Watch Pro 5 to record and a Samsung Galaxy S21+ phone to look at the different apps.

I've tried:
- Logging out and back in on Strava

- Restarting my phone

- Logging out and back in on Fit and Health

- Editing the activity in Strava and saving again

- Making a new activity (still no sync of old or new activities)

- Starting a run on my phone to check if it would sync the others recorded on my watch

Any help on this would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @totaljoe 

Thanks for getting back to us.  Only activities recorded after you link your accounts will be synced.  For the other issue with new activities not syncing to Google Fit or Samsung Health, I'm going to ask you to please submit a support ticket and our Support Team will be happy to work directly with you to investigate what might be happening.  Thanks so much.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

IDB
Mt. Kenya

Why can't you sync indoor activities from samsung health? They can be recorded on Strava directly. I don't understand. 

totaljoe
Mt. Kenya

Hi Jane,

Yes, the activities do include GPS data.

I can confirm that Fit shows Strava as a connected app, as does Samsung Health.

All activities recorded on Strava show up in my feed, but do not sync to other apps. Also, there are no notifications suggesting there are any sync issues.

I've updated the journal tab several times over a few days without any change.

Are activities limited to after the accounts were linked? Will the applications not sync previously recorded data?

I just went on a swim using Samsung Health and I can confirm that it synced to Strava, but older activities do not seem to be syncing.

I have done some short start/stop tests on Strava making sure to get GPS before stopping the activity, but these still have not synced to Fit or Health.

As I mentioned in the first post, I've tried editing posts to see if that solves it but haven't had any luck.

So to sum up the issues I'm seeing;

• Activities recorded with Strava do not seem to sync to Fit or Health, but activities recorded with Health since linking will sync with Strava.
  • Previously recorded activities recorded with Health have not synced to Strava (maybe this isn't a bug, and the sync only occurs to activities after you link the accounts? Or maybe it takes a while to sync as there are a lot of old activities?)

Thanks!

Hello @totaljoe 

Thanks for getting back to us.  Only activities recorded after you link your accounts will be synced.  For the other issue with new activities not syncing to Google Fit or Samsung Health, I'm going to ask you to please submit a support ticket and our Support Team will be happy to work directly with you to investigate what might be happening.  Thanks so much.

Jane (she/her)

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @totaljoe 

Thanks for posting about this and sorry to hear of the difficulties. 

Do your activities contains GPS data?   Indoor workouts or activities that do not contain GPS information will not push to Strava from Samsung Health.  Let me know.

You can confirm if your Strava account is successfully connected to Google Fit by opening your Google Fit app, going to Profile > Settings > Manage Connected Apps. You should see Strava listed under your connected apps.

If you are having difficulties with activities syncing from Strava to Google fit there are a few things you can try:

• First, open your Strava app on your mobile device and go to the "You" Feed. Scroll through your recent activities to make sure they are loaded and displayed on your feed.
  • Then, open your Google Fit app on your mobile device and go to the Journal tab. On the Journal tab tap on the refresh button in the top right corner. It may take a few moments for the activities to appear on the Google Fit history.

If you find that your activity has not synced to Google Fit after using the steps above, it will be necessary to edit the activity on Strava in order to trigger the sync action. Once you save the activity again it should push over to Google Fit.

Let me know if this helps.

Jane (she/her)

It will be better to see indoor workouts from Samsung, why do I need to think if my workout contains GPS and spend a lot of time to find out why it doesn't sink in strava as a run workout? 

"Indoor workouts or activities that do not contain GPS information will not push to Strava from Samsung Health" 

WHY?

100% this. I don't want to use many different apps for for different activities. And I don't like the UI of Strava on Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 pro.

Here's an Epic for Strava dev team: As a user, I would like to have all my activities recorded with native software of Samsung Galaxy Watch synced with both Samsung Health and Strava. 

Here's another one: As a user, I would like my historcal activity data from Samsung Health synced with my Strava account. 

@Jane Is there a feature request form somewhere?