cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong or missing data when importing Activity on iPhone

mkubista
Shkhara

Last day, I decided, that I could try Workout app on Apple Watch instead of Strava. The main reason was, that Strava app doesn't record Cadence and there is no option, to setup intervals (and warmup, cooldown etc.). So far for this purpose, I was using Intervals Pro app from time to time. But the cadence reading was strangely off when exported to Strava

So I setup simple workout with 6 minutes warmup, one Work segment 5 miles long and 6 minutes cooldown.

In activity App there is everything correct. Three intervals showing right data. Cadence. Even power (latest watchOS and iOS version).

But after importing to Strava (using iOS Strava app import function), data are not correct.

• power is missing
  • cadence is missing
  • activity has 57! laps with no clue, on which they are based

I googled the problem with laps, and there were some suggestions, that this is the problem with pace range notifications, which I have setup on every interval type in this particular custom Apple Watch workout...

So the question is: Are those 3 data errors problems with Strava import functionality and if so, when it will be fixed. Or is here any workaround at least for the laps problem.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey mkubista Swinguy,

Thanks for posting. At this time, cadence from the Apple Watch will not be displayed when your activity is uploaded to Strava. As for other data, we'd be happy to take a look a closer look at your activity to see what is happening. Pease submit a support ticket and include a link to the activity in question and we can look in to this. 

We appreciate your post and the feedback.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Maxcasal
Mt. Kenya

Very annoying issue. I experience the same. 
have you maybe found a workaround?

mkubista
Shkhara

Just for information. Instead of waiting for update, I managed to make simple workout importer application for iOS, which is able to import new activities with intervals and also is able to calculate data for cadence.

Using HealtKit and Strava API.

Cadence computation is strongly dependent, if activity has been captured by native application. It seems, that only during native workout capture, there are fine granular data saved in Health application (and accessible by HealtKit). Otherwise cadence is computed very roughly...

May be I will try to make the app user friendly (now it works only so so for my own purpose) a put it to appstore...

Scout
Moderator Moderator

Hey mkubista Swinguy,

Thanks for posting. At this time, cadence from the Apple Watch will not be displayed when your activity is uploaded to Strava. As for other data, we'd be happy to take a look a closer look at your activity to see what is happening. Pease submit a support ticket and include a link to the activity in question and we can look in to this. 

We appreciate your post and the feedback.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Thanks for reply.

I have submitted a support ticket. So I hope, it will be solved soon.

After submitting, I looked into the HealthKit documentation and I thing that the problem is, that Strava doesn't recognise new entities in Health data called Activities - now each workout can be divided into multiple different activities. For example triathletes can divide it to run swim and cycle. Or there could be multiple run activities - its my case - three activities with its out statistics. 

It looks like Strava instead of that is using any HKWorkoutEvent to divide workout into laps. Even that HKWorkoutEvent has many types (resume, pause, marker, lap, segment...)

As for cadence, is there a problem, that HealthKit (which you are probably using for data import activity data) doesn't provide cadence data? If so (after quick search in API documentation, I indeed didn't find such data), there should be some way to extrapolate such data from steps and covered distance. I looked to Health App to data around my problematic workout, and both steps and covered distance are recorder in very fine granularity - it should be doable. At least in some basic level (better something than nothing).

Swinguy
Mt. Kenya

Hi,

Similar problem for me this morning.

I usually record my runs with a Suunto watch, and intervals are properly reported in Strava from the Suunto app. I also have an Apple Watch 4, and I am interested in the Ultra, so I tested the new custom workouts available with WatchOS 9 in the Apple Watch Fitness app, to see if the data from this app was imported properly in Strava.

It seems it is just not. Despite WatchOS9 having been announced for months, Fitness custom workouts are simply not supported. For Strava users who intend to use their shiny Apple Watch Ultra with Strava as an alternative for their sport watch, they are in for a big disappointment.

Hope the Strava team will work on it soon.