cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RS33
Shkhara

PR medals and KOM cups reward performance, they are fantastic, they encourage us to improve, to repeat the performance on the same segment until we reach our goal.
However, there is no prize, no medal, no reward for exploration.

GIVE US GREEN MEDALS FOR EXPLORATION!

there are so many cyclists who love to explore, who never repeat a segment, who seek a new experience every outing, there is a lot of this in every category: gravel, mtb, touring, road, etc.

Also rewarding this style, this way of doing cycling will motivate many cyclists, will push PR enthusiasts to look for new segments and will reward those who explore a new corner of the world every day!

10 Comments
zecanard
Kilimanjaro

Agree. While Local Legends were a positive change for Strava users who aren’t professional athletes and can’t realistically compete on leaderboards, I find that they  discourage me from adding variety to my training.

Soren
Denali

@RS33 thanks for sharing this concept to encourage exploration. It's not quite clear from your suggestion how this should be determined or benchmarked. Would this apply to Segments one has not been on before? If so, there would be an oversaturation of awards given out and it would lose its appeal very quickly. How do you think this would best be achieved?

RS33
Shkhara

I'm sorry if it was unclear, it wouldn't make sense to give the badge only the first time ever that a segment is covered, it would only incentivize creating segments in absurd places and it wouldn't have much value.

I meant: next to the yellow medals insert green medals. every time the user completes a segment for the first time, he receives a star. of course that segment may have already been covered by others.

what the green medal indicates is: how much the user has strayed from his usual itineraries, how much he has explored outside the paths he usually takes.

the green medals must motivate the variety of routes, the non-routine, otherwise the yellow medals will inevitably push only in the direction of the infinite repetition of the same segments to take away a few seconds, fun and fundamental this too but it cannot be the only reason for satisfaction on strava

ChrisBerry
Kilimanjaro

Wandrer.earth is a Strava extension that is based entirely on exploration and gaining points for riding new roads. It already does exactly what you are asking for. 

RS33
Shkhara

Thanks for the (paid) link but the suggestion was on the medals next to the yellow ones. Anyway, it's enough for me to have launched the proposal, thanks again

Status changed to: Gathering Kudos
Soren
Denali

Thanks for providing additional information about your idea. It has been reviewed by our moderation team and is now open to voting.

andonidc
Mt. Kenya

It could be a nice idea to create a new type of challenge that consists on traveling to different towns or zones. For example, recording activities in all the districts of a determinate state. It can also involve being in different locations/segments (for example well known routes or popular climbs) in a determinate period of time

Soren
Denali

Hey @andonidc thanks for sharing this idea. What kind of challenge were you thinking this would be best for -- the featured monthly challenges or customizable Group Challenges? There's a similar idea related to introducing achievements tied to exploration here (which seems like it would be a precursor for your suggestion) and another one for enabling achievements for segment territories here

andonidc
Mt. Kenya

Hi @Soren  thanks for your comment. I was thinking more in feautured monthly challenges. I didn´t read both exploration challenge comments that you mention, but my proposal is quite similar to the first comment.

Soren
Denali

@andonidc we've gone ahead and merged these ideas since they both instigate exploration and go hand in hand. This helps us keep the forums organized and makes sure suggestions are easy to find and votes for them aren’t divided across duplicate ideas. Don’t forget to show your support by clicking on the kudos button.