cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing Segments

Wally
Shkhara

Hi, I'm 2 seconds off the KOM for a short segment near me. (34 s) 

Today I had another try, but on my return home / end, & fill in the Strava report, I found it no longer exists...

(The KOM holder has just moved to Spain, by the way).

Can Segments be taken down or removed....? 

And do people do this...? 

TIA Ian 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

anchskier
Denali

@Wally - To answer your first question, yes, segments can be deleted, but only by the person who created it or Strava officials.  Do people do this?  Yes, some do.  We have had a couple people who created segments for winter trails that varied each year who would go in and delete the old ones the next season when the new trail along a similar, but different path, was established.  

Are you sure it was deleted or could it just be hidden?  If you are looking at it on the mobile app, hidden segments won't be visible.  If you log in to the web version of Strava, you can view the hidden segments and might see the one you are looking for.  

View solution in original post

For years I've been creating segments, and I can certify that many of them have been wiped out by the app. They do not appear in the hidden segment list, I've triple checked. I always assumed that other users deleted them, but yesterday I investigated the issue again and found out this isn't possible. Therefore, I can assert here that Strava has been removing segments at random and nobody in the company has any idea about this issue, or they need to learn how to fix it, probably the latter.

@Wally - Yes, a while back, Strava changed the minimum length of segments they allow, so there will be some that used to be okay, but would not be allowed if you tried to create them today.  

7 REPLIES 7

anchskier
Denali

@Wally - To answer your first question, yes, segments can be deleted, but only by the person who created it or Strava officials.  Do people do this?  Yes, some do.  We have had a couple people who created segments for winter trails that varied each year who would go in and delete the old ones the next season when the new trail along a similar, but different path, was established.  

Are you sure it was deleted or could it just be hidden?  If you are looking at it on the mobile app, hidden segments won't be visible.  If you log in to the web version of Strava, you can view the hidden segments and might see the one you are looking for.  

For years I've been creating segments, and I can certify that many of them have been wiped out by the app. They do not appear in the hidden segment list, I've triple checked. I always assumed that other users deleted them, but yesterday I investigated the issue again and found out this isn't possible. Therefore, I can assert here that Strava has been removing segments at random and nobody in the company has any idea about this issue, or they need to learn how to fix it, probably the latter.

@1234qweasz - Have you checked to see if the segments you created before that you say are missing now are in the list of created segments on your profile?  You can check by going to (on the web version) "Dashboard" and then select "My Segments" option and then select the tab for "Created Segments".  If it is there, you can click on it and see if yours or other activities might still be showing up on it.  It may have been deleted, but it could also be that it was created with bad GPS data and the more recent rides just aren't properly matching to it.

Hi. 

I have checked thanks.

It's not my segment,just one that I got 2nd on before it disappeared. The KOM holder has just moved to Spain but it's not his segment either.  ( I told him about it ).

Thanks for your reply tho. 🙂 

I tried to recreate the segment but the App says it's too short for the satellites to track... Well, it existed before so can only guess Strava.com has updated itself and doesn't allow short Segments anymore. 

(if it's not broken, don't fix it). 

Thank you for your reply. 

@Wally - Yes, a while back, Strava changed the minimum length of segments they allow, so there will be some that used to be okay, but would not be allowed if you tried to create them today.  

Thank you... I'll check that out. 

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings