cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Upload - Rate limited

nekno
Shkhara

I'm trying to use file upload on the Upload and Sync Your Activities page.

I have 400 activities to upload from TCX files, limited to 15 files at a time by the page.

I can upload 30 files in 2 batches, and then I get an error:

You've exceeded the maximum number of uploads. Please try again later. 

Does the file upload have a rate limit?

A limit of 30 files per 24 hours (?) would be annoyingly low.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your patience.  If you have a large number of files to upload to your Strava account, and you are still hitting our rate limits,  please submit a support ticket so we can work directly with you to help.  In the ticket please mention:

• the number of files you have to upload
  • the original source of the files (Garmin, Wahoo, TomTom, etc.)

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your patience.  If you have a large number of files to upload to your Strava account, and you are still hitting our rate limits,  please submit a support ticket so we can work directly with you to help.  In the ticket please mention:

• the number of files you have to upload
  • the original source of the files (Garmin, Wahoo, TomTom, etc.)

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Please can someone send me mail with a solution to this problem because I did NOT exceed the rate limit.
How can uploading a cycle ride with 3 photos become "rate limit exceeded" now for 25hrs!??

I am a paid subscriber and find this extremely annoying.

Hi Jane,

Having problems with Rate limit exceeded the last 2 days and never seen this error message before.

Source of the files are Wahoo and Garmin. no files to upload, just cant pass a comment on fellow athletes achievements. Never exceed more than 50 comments per day. tried to reload Strava as a new app after deleting on I phone and has not helped with the problem.

Welcome your assistance.

Regards,

Justin    

Hi

I am just trying to comment - that’s it and it tells me “rate limit exceeded”

Not trying to upload pics or clips at all. 

Very annoying as this has happened 10x today and it’s the first time!!!

Yeah you are rate limited to a certain number of requests per 15 minutes and for a day as total. You can check your usage on the website. 

If you read my other comments here, I suggest writing your own rest calls to be in full control over how you use your limited calls. In my experience the open source libraries to call their public api uses more calls than I expect for uploading activities and it varies per activity.

Vitia_K
Mt. Kenya

@Jane Soo... Any developments here? I really wanted to change from Garmin to Strava, with the subscription, but if I am not able to transfer all my activities from Garmin, then I'd say goodbye Strava. 

robal1991
Shkhara

I'm also facing the limit...

I need to upload 1900+ activities... It will take me days...

I suggest building a simple script using a POST call that uploads your activities. From the other comments threads I was able to hack together sobering from other code, but would totally do it from scratch if I had to do over. I basically uploaded 2k activities over about 4-7 days with little effort once I got the script to work. I was unhappy with the performance of stravalib(ave 7+ calls to the api for creating an activity and updating it with gear used). So I would not lean on that. 

Yes I'm going to do it that way.